Woodland’s Mansion

Woodland’s Mansion

Woodlands was built in 1906 by Pennsylvania Railroad baron, Robert W. Parsons. Parsons bought 100 acres of land just outside Summerville and constructed his family’s winter home. The Parsons family sold the property in 1939 to Alan White, a respected botanist...
Health Resorts in Summerville

Health Resorts in Summerville

1889-1930s Summerville has always considered itself a healthy place. We’ve had our ups and downs but we always seem to come out on top. Probably the darkest days were during the Civil War her in America. The south lost the war and things were changed all round. The...
The Teacherage

The Teacherage

The house at 127 West Fifth South Street was probably built around 1877. The property was surveyed for Mr. B. S. Rhett of Charleston in that year. At the time this house was built, the only building nearby was the “Paradise Hotel” across the street. From Rhett the...
The Timrod Library

The Timrod Library

After the 1750s, the library in old Dorchester shut down. It wasn’t until the 1900s when you could check out a book in Summerville. A group of young Summerville women formed a “Chautauqua Reading Circle.” At certain times the ladies would meet and swap books with each...

The Old Town Hall

The Old Town Hall is located at 201 W. Carolina Avenue in Summerville and is the oldest public building, still standing, in Summerville.  It was built at the beginning of the Civil War in 1860. In 1860 a vote was taken to elect anaother intendant.  The people elected...

Milton P. Skinner

This property at 705 South Main Street in Summerville goes way back in history.  In 1935 Attorney-at-Law Legare Walker traced the title back to the land owned by Richard Wainwright in 1791.  It was then sold to Dewar and his heirs.  In May 1831 this parcel of land was...