After occupying Iwo Jima, the US military plans to break through its internal defense circle from the southwest of Japan to complete the strategic encirclement of Japan from Aleutian Islands in the north, Iwo Jima in the middle and Okinawa in the south.

After the Japanese army failed in the Philippine Islands, it was judged that the US Army must land on Okinawa and its nearby islands before attacking the Japanese mainland.

Once Okinawa is lost, the Japanese mainland will also be completely exposed to the attack range of the US military.

Therefore, Okinawa has become the last fortress that Japan must ensure.

As early as the autumn of 1944, lieutenant general Niu daoman, commander of the 32nd group army of the Japanese army, drew up the operational policy of ensuring the central and southern Okinawa, fighting a decisive battle with the US Army on the coast and annihilating the landing US Army according to the instructions of the Japanese base camp.

On the morning of March 23, the US 58th aircraft carrier special task force suddenly attacked Okinawa Island, which opened the prelude to the implementation of pre fire preparation for Okinawa Island.

From March 24 to 25, the 58th aircraft carrier formation of the US military dispatched carrier aircraft to extensively suppress the defense facilities of the Japanese army on Okinawa.

On March 28 and 29, it attacked Kyushu again.

The support and escort aircraft carrier group of the 52nd special task force of the US military arrived in the sea area near Okinawa on March 26.

Since March 29, the US carrier aircraft escorting the aircraft carrier has carried out attacks on the island’s udaku and Kadena airports.

On March 30 and 31, the US 58th aircraft carrier task force attacked Okinawa again.

On March 26, 27 and 31, the 57th task force attacked the Japanese military airport on Miyako Island in the east of the Kuril Islands.

The large ships of the US 58th special task force and the 54th special task force carried out naval gun pre fire attack and direct fire attack on Okinawa Island from March 24 to 31.

During this period, the US military began minesweeping and underwater blasting operations in the landing sea area and adjacent offshore areas.

The US military found six minefields, cleared more than 180 mines, cleared the landing channel, and cleared 2500 square nautical miles of the sea area, creating favorable conditions for landing operations.

On March 26, the five infantry battalions of the first echelon of the 77th infantry division of the United States made an assault landing on aja Island, qingliujian Island, feiji Island, zujianwei island and wujiabei Island, respectively.

By the evening of March 29, the U.S. military had occupied all the qingliangjian islands, established a seaplane base and a fleet berthing and logistics supply base to support the landing operation on Okinawa, and completed the first step of the landing operation on Okinawa.

On March 31, the US Tank Landing Ship and medium landing ship, two 155 mm cannon battalions transporting the 420th field artillery group, landed on qingyishu island and occupied the whole island without resistance.

Qingyishu island is about 18 kilometers away from the main landing area of the U.S. military, yuqiqi beach, and about 13 kilometers away from Naha City, an important Japanese defense area in the south of Okinawa.

The 155 mm cannon deployed on the island can effectively control the above two areas and effectively support the landing and land operations of the U.S. military.

So far, the second step of the US landing operation has also been completed.

In the process of the US military seizing the air and sea control in the landing sea area, deputy military commander Toyota of the joint fleet of the Japanese Navy ordered the operation of “Tian” on the 26th.

From March 28 to 31, the Japanese army dispatched 870 sorties of various aircraft to attack US ships in the sea area near Okinawa Island.

However, due to the Japanese army’s failure to complete the preparation on time, the “Tian” lost its fighters in the battle.

At 8:30 on April 1, 1945, the US military made a surprise landing on Okinawa.

In the whole process of the US military’s surprise landing, we only met the scattered artillery fire of the Japanese army, and did not encounter any strong resistance.

Therefore, the progress was very smooth.

Since April 5, the battle on Okinawa has basically turned into land battle.

The resistance of the Japanese army has gradually increased, and the land battle has entered an intense stage.

In order to cooperate with the resistance of the landing army on the island, the Japanese base camp organized the aviation “chrysanthemum water operation” and the joint fleet “special attack operation” on April 6.

From April 6 to June 22, the Japanese naval air force organized 10 “chrysanthemum water operations” and dispatched about 3742 aircraft.

At the same time, the Japanese air force also frequently carried out small-scale attacks, sending out about 4109 aircraft.

The U.S. military estimated in advance that the Japanese army might attack the U.S. ships in the waters of Okinawa with land and Navy aircraft, especially suicide aircraft.

Therefore, the U.S. military used aviation troops to control the airports in Japan and China, and organized 16 radar Posts centered on the landing area to strengthen vigilance.

The air force “Ju Shui battle” organized by the Japanese army lost a total of 2258 aircraft.

The Japanese army reported that it sank and injured about 404 US ships.

While carrying out suicide attacks in the air, the Japanese naval joint fleet formed a maritime special attack fleet with the remaining second fleet of the main naval force to attack the US ships in the parking lot of Okinawa Island.

On April 6, the fleet, led by lieutenant general ITO tsuichi, sailed from the inland sea of Japan and was found by U.S. submarines when it went south through the Fenghou waterway.

On the morning of April 7, when he was traveling westward through the Dayu Strait, he was found by a US reconnaissance plane.

The 58th US aircraft carrier special task force dispatched 300 aircraft and carried out multiple attacks on the fleet from 12:32 to 14:00 on the 7th.

As a result, 10 torpedoes and 5 bombs in the “Daiwa” sank about 50 nautical miles southwest of Kyushu.

At the same time, four cruisers “Yaya” and destroyers were sunk.

After the war, the Japanese Navy, which was famous for a while, no longer existed.

During this period, the two marine divisions of the US third marine army advanced smoothly to the north of Okinawa Island and occupied the north of the island and ijiang island on April 21.

The two divisions of the 24th army attacked southward, overcoming the tenacious resistance of the Japanese army.

They broke through the main defense line of the Japanese army on the island, the Mugang defense line on April 24, the Shouli defense line on May 31 and the last defense line in the south of the island on June 22.

On the same day, lieutenant general Niu daoman, the commander of the Japanese army guarding the island, and his chief of staff committed suicide by caesarean section.

After that, the US military turned to the action of eliminating the remaining enemy on the island.

By June 30, the fighting on the island had basically ended.

On July 2, the US military officially announced the end of the Okinawa campaign.

The landing operation on Okinawa enabled the US military to finally attack the sea and Air Force bases in Japan.

However, the Japanese defense operations on Okinawa made the US military realize the difficulty of launching landing operations on the Japanese mainland, delayed the US military’s attack on the Japanese mainland and bought time for the defense of the Japanese mainland.