At the beginning of 1944, the southwest Pacific theater forces under the command of the Allied general and the third fleet of the South Pacific theater under the command of general Nimitz jointly completed the blockade, and the operation of isolating the important Japanese base Rabaul in the South Pacific was successfully completed.

During the whole battle, MacArthur’s troops overcame the resistance of the Japanese 18th army headquarters under anda’s command along the island of New Guinea, and circuitous from the left to Rabaul.

The US third fleet, commanded by Halsey, simultaneously launched an austerity war on the right wing of Solomon Islands against the Japanese 17th army.

In the direction of New Guinea, after occupying Laicheng, salamoa and fenshhafen in early October 1943, the Allied forces in the southwest Pacific theater suspended the advance along the island of New Guinea, but blocked the Hoon Peninsula and turned to rest.

At the same time, the US sixth group army under the command of general Kruger crossed the Strait of vitiaz to undertake follow-up combat tasks.

On December 15, the US first Cavalry Division landed in Arawa, south of New Britain, and soon established a forward base on the island.

At the same time, with the assistance of the seventh amphibious formation, the first marine division of the US Navy successfully established a beachhead position on the Cape Gloucester in the north of New Britain and built two airports.

In the direction of Solomon Islands, the US third fleet in Halsey and its third amphibious formation have been advancing as planned.

From July 2 to August 25, 1943, the 37th, 43rd and 25th divisions of the United States captured New Georgia Island through hard work.

From August 15 to October 7, the Allied forces under halsi captured the island of Vera lavala.

On December 1, the third US Marine Division boarded Bougainville island from Queen Augusta Bay.

By the end of the year, Queen Augusta bay had become a naval base of the Allied forces, and three airports had been built on the beach.

After entering 1944, Halsey’s departments continued to attack the rest of the Japanese army in Solomon Islands.

While further blocking and isolating the Japanese Rabaul base, the Allied forces in the South Pacific theater exerted strong pressure on the Japanese 17th group army stationed on Bougainville island.

On February 15, the third division of New Zealand captured green island with the support of the Navy and air force, and provided an important air base for the Japanese army who blocked Rabaul.

On March 20, halsi’s troops bypassed Rabaul and seized kamyn island in its northwest direction, which means that the right-wing task of the Allied pincer blockade against the Japanese army in Rabaul has been completed.

On the left, MacArthur’s us first marine division and the 41st Army division also occupied the whole island of New Britain through fierce fighting in mid March, completing the left-wing blockade of Rabaul.

Since then, the U.S. military withdrew from New Britain, and the Australian Army led by general Bremen undertook the task of containing the Japanese army in Rabaul.

On January 2, the second phase of the southwest Pacific allied battle – the battle to recover the whole island of New Guinea was officially launched.

This task was completed by MacArthur’s southwest Pacific force.

In order to cooperate with the frontal attack launched by the Australian forces on the Hoon Peninsula, MacArthur sent a unit of the American 32nd division to land in the north of Saidor, and soon cut off the retreat of the Australian Army facing the Japanese army.

On January 23, when the two armies met, the Japanese army was forced to flee to the inland mountains.

This action provided a base for George Kenny’s fifth air force and laid the foundation for air support in subsequent operations.

Subsequently, the positive advance of the Allied forces was blocked in Madan.

During the Allied westward advance, in order to prevent the Japanese trapped in the Solomon Islands from reinforcing the Japanese 18th group army stationed in New Guinea, and to provide a convenient port and segmented transportation base for the landing of a large number of amphibious combat forces of the Allied forces, MacArthur decided to capture the ademellerty islands first.

As the islands have ideal natural ports and airport sites, the occupation of the islands can not only support the subsequent naval operations along the island of New Guinea, but also directly attack the Japanese troops in Caroline and Mariana Islands and support the operations of the central Pacific forces.

On the morning of February 29, 1944, major general chase commanded the fifth cavalry team of the first cavalry division of the United States.

Under the personal supervision of MacArthur, he made a rapid landing on Los Negros island.

Subsequently, the Japanese army launched a counterattack, but was soon annihilated by MacArthur’s reinforcements transferred from fenshhafen.

By the end of March, the whole ademellerty islands had been controlled by the allies, and most of the Japanese troops guarding the island had been annihilated.

The war not only gave the Allies access to natural ports and several airports, but also closed Bismarck – New Britain – Solomon Islands – with the last retreat of 80000 remaining Japanese troops, waiting for them to wait and die.

Although the Japanese army lost its strategic initiative in the South Pacific, its base camp is still determined to do its best to hold the western part of the island of New Guinea.

To this end, the Japanese Army established a large supply and maintenance base in Diya, the Netherlands, to support the operation of the main force of the 18th group army between Madan and wiwak.

The reason why Diya, the Netherlands, was selected as the logistics base by the Japanese army is mainly because it is 800 kilometers away from the offensive front of the allies, while the maximum operational radius of the US fifth Air Force fighter under Kenny’s command is only 560 kilometers, which can not provide air cover for the landing operations of the allies in this area.

Therefore, it is regarded as a safe area by the Japanese army.

In order to further strengthen the defense in the west of New Guinea, the Japanese army also built several new airports in the inland mountainous area of Diya, the Netherlands.

However, just because the Dutch dia is outside the combat radius of the US Fighter, the Japanese army believes that MacArthur cannot attack it in the short term, so only a few defensive forces are deployed here, and the rest are logistics personnel with very weak combat ability.

This created conditions for the allies to quickly occupy the strategic area.

On March 30, long-range bombers of the US fifth Air Force stationed in Saidor launched fierce air strikes on the Japanese military base along the coast of New Guinea.

The Japanese military airport in Diya, the Netherlands, was also repeatedly bombed, and about 400 Japanese aircraft were destroyed on the runway of the airport.

The bombing continued until April 19.

Because the Allied forces intended to strengthen the attack on weiwak and Hansa Bay during the bombing, the Japanese army always believed that the Allied forces would launch an attack in this area.

In addition, the Australian Army to the east of Madan also resumed its westward offensive on April 1.

This action not only firmly held the main force of the 18th group army, but also forced the Japanese army to transfer some forces from the direction of Diya, the NetherlandsSo that the Japanese defense in the area where the allies are scheduled to land is weaker.

In order to avoid being detected by the Japanese aerial reconnaissance during the fleet’s driving, MacArthur concentrated the task force in the north of the ademellerty islands and drove to the northwest.

Although this route is about 160 nautical miles farther than the direct route to Diya, the Netherlands, it can achieve sudden change.

On April 21, when the huge fleet reached the predetermined waters, it suddenly turned south and quickly approached the coast of Dutch New Guinea.

Subsequently, the formation landing at Aitape was separated from the large fleet, turned to the port and drove straight to Aitape, while the main force continued to move towards the coast of Diya, Netherlands.

At 4 a.m. the next day, the main fleet was divided into two.

One turned to the starboard side and quickly sailed to taramera Bay, 16 nautical miles northwest of Dutch dia, and the rest went straight to Humboldt Bay on the left of Dutch dia.

At about 6 a.m. on April 22, MacArthur’s fleet appeared in the sea of Diya, the Netherlands.

Amid the roar of naval guns, a team of landing boats broke through the morning fog and launched an impact on the coast.

The 41st and 24th divisions of the US army landed in Humbolt and taramera Bay, 40 kilometers away from the East and west of Diya, the Netherlands, respectively.

Meanwhile, with the support of Kenny’s fifth air force long-range combat aircraft, two American regiments landed in etape.

Throughout the operation, Kincaid’s seventh fleet and seventh amphibious formation supported the operations of Dutch dia and etape at the same time.

In Aitape, while the US combat forces launched a rapid attack on the Japanese army guarding the island after landing, the US engineering force quickly built a field airport on the island.

After two days of hard work, the US Army captured the whole island on April 24.

When Nimitz’s aircraft carrier withdrew from the battle on the 26th, the land-based fighters taken off by etape could provide effective air support and cover to the Allies fighting in the Dutch dia region.

In this war, 450 American soldiers were killed and 2500 injured.

About 9000 Japanese soldiers were killed.

In Diya, the Netherlands, although the Allied landing scale was much larger than etape, the battle developed smoothly due to the sudden attack.

After landing, the US military not only did not encounter the Japanese artillery fire and suicidal counter impact, on the contrary, what appeared in front of them was the mess after the defenders fled.

On the beach, weapons and all kinds of personal belongings can be seen everywhere, and even rice can be seen boiling in the pot.

The Allied forces encountered only symbolic resistance at each stronghold, and there were few attacks by the Japanese air force and Navy at that time, so that the 58th aircraft carrier special task force sent by Nimitz to support the operation did not give full play to its role.

On April 27, the US troops landing on the East and west sides of Diya, the Netherlands, met, and the battle of Diya, the Netherlands, ended.

Only 100 US troops were killed and 1000 injured in this battle.

The Japanese army lost 5000 people, and about 5000 others fled to inland jungle areas.

The battle of Diya in the Netherlands is one of the most successful examples of the Allied forces on the Pacific battlefield.

Due to the careful planning and effective coordination of the Allied sea, land and air forces, they achieved the unexpected and unprepared effect, so as to successfully complete the predetermined campaign objectives at a small cost.

The victory of this war made the main force of Anda’s 18th group army fall into the siege of the allies.

To the East are the Australian Army and the U.S. Army, to the West are the supply lines cut off by the U.S. troops landing in Diya and etape, the Netherlands, to the north are the sea controlled by the Allied Navy, to the south are the insurmountable jungle mountains, and the Allied air force firmly controls the air control of the whole island of New Guinea.

The 18th group army has truly become a turtle in a jar.

The rapid victory of Dutch Diya further strengthened MacArthur’s determination to end the battle of New Guinea as soon as possible.

On April 27, he reported to the U.S. Army Department the battle plan to attack Wacker island in mid May.

The move aims to get more airports so that the air force can move westward.

Located 220 kilometers west of Diya, the Netherlands, the island has been built into an important ground and air strategic base by the Japanese army.

There are not only good airports, but also many warehouses and camps.

On May 17, MacArthur sent two battle groups to land in malau Bay and wacker.

The “tornado task force” composed of the US 163 regiment attacked the land airstrip around malau Bay.

Due to the weak defensive strength of the Japanese army, both US troops successfully completed their tasks.

By May 20, the Japanese troops in wakd Salmi area were completely eliminated, and the allies got the expected forward base.

From these bases, the rest of the Japanese airports and ports in Western New Guinea are within the range of medium-range bombers protected by Allied fighters.

After the battle on Wacker Island, MacArthur decided to launch another attack and continue to move forward with his original “leapfrog tactics”, aiming at BIA Island, which is extremely important in geographical location.

He estimated that the number of Japanese troops on BIA island would not exceed 3000, while in fact, there were nearly 10000 Japanese troops on the island.

It was this misjudgment that led the allies to pay a heavy price in the process of conquering the island.

On May 27, the “tornado task force” composed of the US 41st Division launched a combat operation to capture BIA island.

Earlier, US planes taking off from the new base on Wacker Island bombed the planned landing area.

Before landing, naval warships supporting landing also shelled the island.

When the US army landed from the south of BIA Island, it did not encounter strong resistance, and the troops successfully occupied the beach.

However, the Japanese army’s tactic is to lure the US military into the island to attack.

They cleverly built Fortifications on the mountains covered with dense forests and full of honeycomb caves.

When the US army advanced from the beach to the hilly area of the island, it was fiercely counterattacked by the Japanese army defending in the cave.

The two sides then launched a fierce battle.

This landing finally evolved into one of the cruelest battles in the Pacific War.

The Japanese Joint Fleet Command stationed on tavitawi Island believes that the attack launched by the US military on BIA Island directly threatens the Japanese “a” battle plan, because BIA Island Airport is very important to maintain the Japanese air superiority in the sea area south of Palau islands.

On June 3, Toyoda sent a force to the south to reinforce the Japanese troops stationed on BIA island.

Later, it was intercepted by Allied aircraft and forced to withdraw.

On the 7th, he sent a destroyer “Tokyo express” to launch an attack, but was chased back by the US Navy.

The situation was urgent and Toyota decided to send a large-scale team.