In the first section of , the failure of the US Pacific Fleet to land on Guadao Midway Island was a heavy blow to the Japanese army who thought it was invincible in the world.

The short-term decisive battle and early peace talks hoped by Yamamoto 56 were dashed, and the strength comparison between Japan and the US Navy was reversed.

However, Japan does not believe that the United States will launch a counter offensive soon.

Judging from the situation at that time, although the Japanese Navy lost four elite aircraft carriers in the midway naval battle, it did not lose confidence in the prospect of victory.

Yamamoto’s joint fleet also has many large aircraft carriers and soldiers who can enlist and be good at war.

In terms of conventional fleet, the water forces of Yamamoto’s joint fleet have hardly suffered any damage, and their actual strength is almost twice that of the US Pacific Fleet.

If it competes on the vast Pacific Ocean, the Japanese Navy is not without hope of winning.

Yamamoto knows this very well, but he has no bottom on how to find the US fleet for a decisive battle.

Just a week after the naval battle on Midway, the Japanese base camp cancelled its plan to occupy New Caledonia, Fiji, Samoa and other islands in July 1942.

However, the Japanese army did not realize that its strength had been greatly weakened and gave up the attack on the South Pacific Islands, but planned to build an aviation base on Gua island and send aviation troops to cover the attack on Port Moresby on the island of New Guinea.

After gaining a firm foothold on the island of New Guinea, it will gradually advance to the southeast, pressing on Australia, an important base of the alliance in the South Pacific, so as to regain the strategic initiative.

In order to realize this strategic attempt, the Japanese army headquarters vigorously enriched the 17th Army established in May 1942.

The army is headed by lieutenant general Baiwu Qingji, the younger brother of the emperor’s aide to the military commander, and the military headquarters is located in Rabaul, New Britain.

By early August, the army had jurisdiction over the South China Sea detachment, Yimu detachment, green leaf detachment and other departments, with a total strength of about 13 brigades, which were assembled in Eastern New Guinea and Bismarck islands to undertake the task of attacking and occupying Port Moresby.

The headquarters of the Japanese Navy established the eighth fleet in July 1942 and appointed lieutenant general I of the mitigawa army as the commander.

It has jurisdiction over the 6th and 18th corps, the 29th and 30th destroyer brigades, the 7th, 13th and 21st submarine Corps.

It has a number of warships and submarines, including 4 heavy cruisers and 3 light cruisers.

The main force is deployed in Rabaul, Cooperate with the 17th army.

The joint fleet also sent more than 100 shore based aircraft under the jurisdiction of the 25th aviation corps to labour to provide air cover.

After the Japanese army occupied Rabaul in January 1942 and built the port and nearby airport into the most important sea and air base in the South Pacific, they occupied tulaji island in May 1942.

The island is the hub of sea and air transportation in the South Pacific.

It was originally the capital of the protected area of the British Solomon Islands.

The governor appointed by Australia is stationed here.

Japan occupied the island mainly to build a seaplane base.

After occupying the island, the Japanese army began to build an airport and surveyed the nearby islands.

It was found that Guadalcanal Island (Guadao for short) was more suitable for building an airport than tulaji island.

On June 16, the Japanese army sent Dazuo Ding in front of the door to lead about 2000 engineers of the 11th Engineering team to Guadao and began to build the airport.

On July 1, the major commander of Okamura led about 700 engineers of the 13th Engineering team to the island to strengthen the construction force, and ordered the completion before August 5.

After intensive construction, Guadao airport has been basically completed and auxiliary facilities have been largely completed by early August.

At this time, Guadao had 2700 Japanese engineers and 240 police forces, a total of about 2940.

At this time, the US Pacific Fleet operational intelligence service deciphered the Japanese Navy’s code telegram No.

25 and learned the news on the island.

If Guadao airport is completed, the Japanese aircraft taking off from this airport will be able to reach the first line of San Espirito Island, EFAT island and New Caledonia Island, which will seriously threaten the maritime transportation line between the United States and Australia.

Of course, the United States cannot take it lightly.

Since the great victory in midway, the morale of the US military has been greatly boosted and has been eager to try and prepare to launch a counter offensive.

Admiral Ernest king, US Secretary of naval operations, said after the victory of the battle of Midway: the battle of Midway is the first decisive defeat of the Japanese Navy in 350 years.

It ended Japan’s long-term offensive, restored the balance of naval power in the Pacific, and lifted Japan’s threat to Hawaii and the United States.

Since then, Japanese operations will be limited to the South Pacific.

In this limited area, we are bound to succeed.

Our combat strength has increased, the enemy and we are close to the situation before the war, and we will be stronger.

The United States, which has been passive since the war, is ready to fight back.

The US military knows that it must seize the airport before the Japanese army has finished repairing it.

Whoever uses the airport first in the battle will win the victory.

On July 31, the US fleet set sail from Fiji.

Lieutenant General Robert gomley, the commander of the US Army, used almost all the strength of the Pacific Fleet: 23 transport ships, under the command of rear admiral Turner, transported 18000 people of the first marine division of the US Navy.

Escorting the landing transport fleet were 8 cruisers and 9 destroyers, and the commander was rear admiral krachere.

The air support formation is composed of three aircraft carriers “Saratoga”, “hornet” and “enterprise”, five battleships “North Carolina” and heavy cruisers, one light cruiser, 16 destroyers and three oil tankers.

The commander is lieutenant general Fletcher, and the flagship is “Saratoga”.

On the evening of August 6, the US landing formation reached the sea area about 60 nautical miles away from Guadao.

Under the cover of bad weather, the whereabouts of the US Army have not been found by the Japanese army.

While landing on the formation ferry, the U.S. aviation forces stationed on EFAT island and San Espirito Island sent B-17 bombers to suppress air strikes on the Japanese army in Solomon Islands.

American planes taking off from the island of New Guinea closely monitored the Japanese troops in the Bismarck islands and northeast New Guinea.

The US military plans to land on the 7th.

Two days earlier, the Japanese airport in Guadao was basically completed.

However, because the Japanese army was busy with the battle in Port Moresby, it did not consider sending attack aircraft to Guadao at all.

The engineer commander Okamura, who was on Guadao, found that the US military had signs of landing, so he sent a telegram to the eighth fleet headquarters in Rabaul, requesting that planes be stationed on Guadao.

At that time, the Japanese troops in Guadao were only the thirdThere are 2700 soldiers in the 11th and 13th Engineering battalions, plus 240 combat troops responsible for airport defense.

On the other side of tulaji Island, only about 740 soldiers are defending.

There are five airships and five water fighters.

The weapons are only small guns and several machine guns, and there are almost no heavy weapons.

At 5:30 on August 7, the US carrier aircraft took off from three aircraft carriers.

At 6:13, “fearless” dive bombers began to carry out aerial fire attacks on Gua island and tulaji island.

Earth shaking air bombardment and sea shelling awakened Guadao, who was still sleeping in the diffuse morning fog.

A huge attack force crossed the gloomy and terrible sea and sailed into the waters of Gua island and tulaji island.

The landing troops under the command of major general van der grift, commander of the first division of the US Marine Corps, made a large-scale landing on the tropical islands of tulaji and Gua.

In fact, before carrying out the task of seizing the island, when major general van der grift gathered the whole operation team to Wellington, New Zealand, the Navy did not provide enough ships to transport food, weapons, fuel and other materials that were crucial to the landing war on Gua island and turaji Island, because the logistical support there could not keep up with it.

However, he knew that if he did not stop the Japanese attack in Solomon Islands, the consequences would be very serious.

Therefore, despite the difficulties at that time, he ordered his Marines to prepare for battle.

According to the operational plan formulated by the senior commander of the U.S. military, the navy is responsible for transporting the troops attacking tulaji island to the north and Gua island to the south.

Major general van der grift leads the first marine division to carry out the task of attack.

When the Marines seize and guard the beachhead position, the army will take over them.

At 9:40 on the same day, with the support of naval guns and aviation firepower, van der grift’s first wave of landing troops landed smoothly.

Colonel hunter, the head of the fifth Marine Regiment, rushed to the beach first, followed by the troops, rushed ashore, gradually expanding the beach and developing in depth.

Subsequently, the beach control group landed and organized follow-up troops to land in an orderly manner.

Because the Japanese intelligence agency could not foresee the landing of the US Army at all, the Japanese army on the island was unprepared, and although the Japanese army on the island was an engineering force, it was actually a Korean worker building an airport without any weapons.

They fled into the jungle without daring to resist.

By sunset, more than 11000 US troops had landed on Shanghai Island.

However, due to the lack of an accurate map, the U.S. military had to grope in the jungle after landing and didn’t arrive at the airport until the next morning.

Although a few Japanese police forces were surprised to see the U.S. soldiers pressing on the border, they still quickly organized resistance.

They resisted the U.S. military attack from the cave, or with the help of other landforms, or from the man-made air defense trench, Until he was killed by a grenade or explosive.

In this battle, the Japanese army killed 700 people, accounting for almost 90% of the total garrison, many of whom died in suicide attacks.

Major general van der grift’s marines were killed or missing 144 and injured 200.

The battle made the US Marines understand two things: one is the determination of the Japanese army to stick to its position until the last person, and the other is the difficulty of attacking the islands with deep trenches and high bases.

Since then, on the undulating Gua Island, the U.S. military hardly encountered any resistance and easily seized the airport.

80% of the airport runways built by the Japanese have been completed, and the towers and power plants have also been completed.

After occupying the airport, the US Marines also seized a large amount of food, construction equipment and construction materials.

Of course, the most popular booty for the team members is hundreds of boxes of Japanese beer and a sound frozen processing plant.

Although the Guadao landing was very successful, major general van der grift knew that this was achieved when the Japanese army had little defense.

If the Japanese army was slightly prepared, the US Army would suffer a major loss.

Moreover, during the landing, the U.S. military also exposed many problems.

For example, the coast control group had too few hands and had to use combat troops to unload materials.

Another example is that some people are too busy to breathe on the beach, while others have nothing to do, sunbathing on the beach, or shooting birds in the jungle, and so on.

However, despite their shortcomings, they finally landed on Guadao.

This is the first successful amphibious landing operation launched by the US Navy in the Pacific since 1898.

However, although the Japanese army lost Guadao, it did not intend to hand over the island to the US Army, and then tried every means to recapture the island.

It began a six-month long fierce battle between the land, sea and air forces of Japan and the United States on this tropical island with towering mountains, fast streams, snakes and scorpions and poisonous mosquitoes in the South Pacific.

The battle, later known as the Gua island battle, became the most tragic example of the Pacific War.

On August 8, the Marines on Guadao heard the bad news.

Admiral Fletcher said he decided to evacuate the aircraft carrier from the area because his fleet lost too many planes and the warships needed refueling.

Because before the landing, he only promised the fleet to stay here for two days.

This means that although the Marines have not completed the landing and most of the important materials needed by the Marines on the beach have not been unloaded in time, the commander-in-chief of the landing operation, rear admiral Turner, must lead the transport ship away.

The next day, Turner had to leave whether the supplies on the transport and supply ships were unloaded or not.

Major general van der grift immediately ordered the emergency unloading of materials, but the operation could not be successfully completed.

That night, a small Japanese naval fleet quietly crossed the US military cordon, triggering a 40 minute naval battle on Savo island.

In the fierce battle, the Japanese army sank four U.S. cruisers.

Because the Japanese army was worried that the U.S. aircraft carrier was still nearby and did not want to be hit by the U.S. air during the day, they withdrew from the battlefield and returned to Rabaul.

They left the island the next morning without any damage to their ships.

As a result, more than 10000 officers and soldiers of the first marine division were left alone on the island – no one knows how long they can support alone.

What’s more, the Japanese bombers bombed every noon, and the cruisers and destroyers of the Royal Japanese Navy bombed almost every night.

The time that the troops can maintain food can only be calculated in days.

In addition, the artillery defending the beach has not had time to transportAs a result, it inadvertently formed a double attack on the US fleet.

After approaching the US ship, the “bird sea” immediately turned on the searchlight to capture the target, and began to launch torpedoes and artillery battles.

In an instant, the trajectory of tracer bullets shuttled back and forth on the sea, weaving strange patterns in the vast night sky.

At first, the US ship thought it was a friendly fleet, so it turned on the identification signal light.

This just pointed out the target for the Japanese ship and made the surprise attack of the Japanese fleet successful again.

In the one hour artillery battle, the Japanese fleet sank the US heavy cruisers “vinces” and “Quincy”, and the “Astoria” also sank at noon on the 9th after being seriously injured.

In the face of the favorable situation that the patrol team in the southern region of the United States has long been defeated and the patrol team in the northern region has almost been completely destroyed, if Mikawa takes advantage of the victory to attack, it is likely to completely annihilate the U.S. transport ships in the waters near Guadao.

However, at this juncture, the shadow of the US aircraft carrier enveloped Sanchuan’s heart.

The guilty Sanchuan suddenly ordered the fleet to return and withdraw from the battle.

In this naval battle, the Japanese army won an overwhelming victory, sank four US cruisers, severely damaged one US cruiser and two destroyers, and killed and injured more than 1700 US troops.

Except that the “gagu” was sunk by a US submarine on its return, none of the Japanese ships was seriously injured.

The Japanese army killed 58 people and injured 53 people, which can be described as a complete victory.

Because the Sanchuan fleet failed to expand the results in time, it gave up the great opportunity to seize the victory and destroy the US transport fleet, which greatly dissatisfied Yamamoto 56.

He was already angry about the failure of Midway Island, and Sanchuan fleet undoubtedly added fuel to the fire.

Therefore, when he learned that the special task force of the US aircraft carrier appeared in the Solomon sea area, his gambling nature made him think that the Solomon sea area might be the best place for him to recover his losses.

He is determined to put all his money in one basket and fight with the US Pacific Fleet to wipe out the US Pacific Fleet and wash away the shame of Midway Island.

In order to achieve this goal, Yamamoto ordered the main force of the joint fleet to concentrate in the northern waters of Guadao.

On August 11, the second fleet commanded by Kondo left the mainland.

On August 16, the third fleet under the command of Nanyun left the port and ordered the 11th aviation fleet command stationed on Tianni island to move to Rabaul.

On August 17, Yamamoto personally led the “Daiwa” to attack southward from Fenghou waterway.

This time, the Japanese joint fleet is pouring out: the Guadao support fleet is commanded by lieutenant general Kondo.

The formation is composed of the second fleet and the third fleet.

It has strong strength, including six aircraft carriers “Xianghe”, “Ruihe”, “Ruifeng”, “Feiying”, “Falcon” and “Longyu”, as well as several battleships, cruisers and destroyers, There are more than 40 large and small ships.

Although Japan has assembled a large number of troops in Guadao, the internal land and Navy strategy of Japan is not unified.

Although Yamamoto’s intention is to fight a decisive battle with the U.S. military in this sea area, he mostly wants to avenge Midway Island.

He has not seriously considered the counter offensive force that the U.S. military has invested in Guadao area.

The Japanese army is even more absurd.

It thinks that the US Army is a force without combat effectiveness.

It never thought that the US Army would use Guadao as a springboard for its counter attack, so it just wants to deal with it hastily.

Baiwu Qingji, commander of the 17th army of the Japanese army stationed in Rabaul, believes that there are only 2000 US troops landing on Guadao, and as long as he sends 1000 people, it is enough to deal with these US troops who have no combat effectiveness.

He never dreamed that the US military landing on Guadao was a large force equipped with all kinds of heavy weapons and a total of 18000 people.

Therefore, he will continue to use the main force in the battle of Port Moresby, and only transfer 6000 people to Gua island.

On August 16, Baiwu Qingji sent yimuqing to lead an advance team of more than 1000 people to set out from Truk naval base in six destroyers.

As early as 1937, Yimu Qingzhi served as the captain of the third brigade in the mutiankou united team of the Japanese army, which directly provoked the July 7th incident.

In Lugouqiao, he personally led his troops to launch the first attack on Wanping county.

He was an executioner and a war criminal who slaughtered the Chinese people.

After the outbreak of the Pacific War, Yimu was appointed by the Japanese command as the commander of the landing force attacking Midway Island.

However, the Japanese army was frustrated in the midway naval battle and didn’t give him a chance to do meritorious service.

This time Guadao was in an emergency, and he was used again.

On the night of August 18, Yimu led his team to successfully board Guadao about 30 kilometers east of Henderson airport.

Arrogant and conceited yiki thought that the US Army was vulnerable.

Before the follow-up troops arrived, he left 125 people guarding the beach and led more than 900 people to the airport.

As the US troops were concentrated at the airport, the Japanese army did not encounter any obstacles along the way.

Yimu confidently reported to the 17th army headquarters in Rabaul: “there is no enemy at all, just like marching in no man’s land.

” On August 19, a latent reconnaissance post of the US Army found the Japanese army.

Unfortunately, the sergeant named wocha was immediately captured by the Japanese army and tortured, but he didn’t give in and said nothing.

In the evening, when the Japanese army was unprepared, he bit the rope and fled back to the US military position with scars.

On August 20, a 40 member reconnaissance team of the Japanese army met with a patrol of the US Army.

The US army killed 31 Japanese troops and seized a marked map.

According to this map, van der grift found that the Japanese army had learned about the weak links in the US defense line.

Therefore, he immediately adjusted and made full preparations.

He set up barbed wire mesh and machine gun fire points at the possible attack sites of the Japanese army.

At 1:30 a.m. on August 21, the first batch of 500 soldiers of a wooden detachment launched a fierce attack on the U.S. military guarding the Turner River Estuary.

Amid the sound of mortars, machine guns and automatic guns, as well as the harsh screams of the Japanese army, the U.S. military resolutely resisted by relying on fortifications.

The Japanese soldiers who came in the tide were knocked upside down by the intensive fire of the US Army.

The Japanese army retreated after leaving a lot of bodies in front of the US Army position.

Soon, the second attack wave rushed up again.

Still, no soldier could rush to the barbed wire of the U.S. military position, leave a pile of bodies and lose again.

Seeing the tragic scene of Japanese wounded soldiers crying out in front of the position, the U.S. military sent medical personnel to the rescue in a humanitarian spirit.

Unexpectedly, the wounded Japanese soldiers fired grenades and died with the medical staff.

Van der grift flew into a rage at the news and ordered no life support for the surrender and sent out light tanksCompletely eliminate the remnants of the Japanese army.

Five light tanks rushed to the jungle occupied by the Japanese army and wiped out the remaining Japanese army one by one with 37mm artillery and machine guns.

Yiki, who was seriously injured, burned the military flag on the beach before the tank came, and then committed suicide by caesarean section.

Only a few dozen of its remnant people retreated to the jungle.

The news of the total annihilation of the Japanese troops landing on Guadao reached Rabaul, and the joint fleet just arrived was surprised.

After urgent consultations between the army and Navy, it was decided to send another 1500 reinforcements to land on Guadao and strive to drive the US troops into the sea by the end of August.

The joint fleet provided assistance at sea and waited for an opportunity to fight a decisive battle with the US aircraft carrier special task force.

The Japanese fleet poured out, with three battleships “lu’ao”, “birui” and “fog island”, as well as several cruisers and destroyers.

There are more than 40 large and small ships, escorting four transport ships carrying Yimu detachment and Chuankou detachment, more than 1000 aircraft and 9 submarines.

On August 21, the morning sun was shining brightly.

The fleet split the dawn sea and left Truk military port.

On August 23, the huge fleet gathered on the ocean 200 nautical miles northeast of Solomon Islands.

Yamamoto divided his forces into five tactical groups: the main group of aircraft carriers commanded by Nanyun.

Avant garde group with battleships “birui” and “fog island” as the core.

A containment group with “Longxiang” light aircraft carrier as bait.

Kondo commanded the advance team composed of the “Millennium” water carrier and 15 warships, the reconnaissance group composed of 9 submarines, and the Guadao reinforcement group followed up in the rear.

Yamamoto’s intention is to use the light and thin old aircraft carrier “Longyu” as the “bait” to attract all US carrier aircraft.

Once the deceived us engine oil returns, he will quickly dispatch all the aircraft on the Nanyun aircraft carrier to sink the US aircraft carrier in one fell swoop.

Then, taking advantage of the victory, we will move forward to Guadao, completely eliminate the US Marine Corps and capture Guadao airport.

Yamamoto’s every move did not escape the eyes of the US military reconnaissance plane and the Australian coastal observation post.

As early as August 20, the US reconnaissance plane had sent back a report: “the Japanese army has assembled a huge fleet in the Truk area.

” According to this situation, lieutenant general Gormley, commander of the US South Pacific theater command, ordered the fleet led by Fletcher to reorganize into the 61st special task force, under which Fletcher personally commanded the 11th special task force composed of aircraft carrier Saratoga, cruisers Minneapolis, New Orleans and five destroyers.

The 16th special task force composed of aircraft carrier enterprise, cruiser Portland, Atlanta and six destroyers under the command of major general Kincaid.

The 18th special task force with the aircraft carrier hornet as the core, commanded by rear admiral Noyce.

In addition, the US Secretary of naval operations, Admiral Ernest king, was aware that a fierce battle was about to break out and ordered the two battleships “Washington” and “South Dakota”, which had just been completed and launched, together with the “Juno” air defense cruiser and escort destroyer, to drive from the Atlantic to the Pacific via the Panama Canal.

Originally, a small US Marines’ sudden attack on a jungle airport on a remote South Pacific island was an insignificant military action, but now it has developed into a grand naval battle that determines the future of the Pacific War.

On August 23, the Guadao reinforcement group led by Tanaka set sail southward from Truk naval base.

At the same time, submarines on guard in the Solomon Islands found the Meite mixed fleet in the southeast sea area of maleta island.

The main group of Nanyun then went south rapidly in a battle sequence in an attempt to find an aircraft to annihilate the US fleet.

On the morning of August 24, the heavy fog shrouded the sea, and the Japanese fleet appeared and disappeared in the fog.

At 0900 hours, the position of the Japanese fleet was: Tanaka’s reinforcement group was 250 nautical miles north of Guadao.

The position of the aircraft carriers “Xianghe” and “Ruihe” commanded by Nanyun at 40 nautical miles east of Tanaka.

The containment group dominated by “Longxiang” is in the right front of Nanyun army.

At 0905 hours, a US seaplane found Yamamoto’s carefully designed “bait” – the “Longyu” light aircraft carrier.

This is the earliest aircraft carrier built and launched by Japan in 1923, with a displacement of only 8000 tons.

After the US reconnaissance plane found the target, it immediately sent back a report, but Fletcher didn’t believe it: none of the three batches of us planes found the Japanese fleet yesterday.

Will it emerge from the seabed today? It was not until 13 p.m. that the US ship’s radar found that the bomber taking off from the “dragon” went to bomb Henderson airport on Guadao that he ordered 30 bombers and 8 torpedo planes on the aircraft carrier “Saratoga” to attack the “dragon”.

Since the Japanese warships were not equipped with radar at this time, it was not until 38 US aircraft flew over the “Longxiang” that the “Longxiang” found the attack of the US aircraft.

At the command of the captain, the “Longxiang” turned against the wind and was ready to take off its aircraft.

However, at this time, the aircraft carrier was most vulnerable to attack.

The US aircraft seized this favorable opportunity to dive down from high altitude, and four bombs exploded on the deck of the “Longxiang” in an instant.

At the same time, eight torpedo planes also quickly entered the attack position from the left and right sides at the same time, fired torpedoes, and the “Longxiang” which could not escape was hit by another torpedo.

At 20 o’clock that night, the Dragon sank into the sea.

When the “dragon” was attacked like a wolf by the US aircraft as a victim of Yamamoto’s plan, Nanyun couldn’t help but feel secretly happy.

He believed that the US aircraft had been diverted and the time had come to carry out major raids on US aircraft carriers.

Just at this time, the reconnaissance plane sent by the cruiser “Zhumo” sent back the report of finding the formation of the US ship.

Nan Yun immediately made up his mind to attack with all his strength.

At 13 PM, he first sent 27 bombers and 10 fighter planes from the “Xianghe”.

One hour later, 27 bombers and 9 fighter planes were sent from the Ruihe.

At 16:02, the radar on the US “enterprise” aircraft carrier found a group of air targets, which was the Japanese aircraft sent by Nanyun to attack the US ship.

Fletcher quickly ordered the planes on standby on the deck to take off for interception, increasing the number of fighters on alert to 53.

At the same time, the remaining 11 bombers and 7 torpedo planes on the enterprise also joined forces with 5 torpedo planes and 2 bombers on the Saratoga to attack the Japanese ship.

So far, Fletcher has revealed all his family background.

The aircraft groups of both sides are at the distance of “enterprise””The dense clouds at 25 nautical miles were in formation, and the sky a few nautical miles around was full of the unique sharp and harsh noise of air combat.

Soon after, the dive bombers and torpedo planes returning from the attack on the “Longxiang” also rushed to fight.

Because the intercepting fire of the U.S. naval gun is quite powerful, and the quality of Japanese pilots is much lower than that during the raid on Pearl Harbor, the torpedo aircraft were destroyed before entering the attack position, and only a few bombers were able to break through the defense line and attack.

Although the number is not large, the Japanese aircraft swarmed in, and there was a desperate dive bombing every seven seconds.

Captain Davis of the “enterprise” tried his best to turn sharply with the big rudder angle to avoid the bomb falling in the sky, but it was still difficult to escape the fate of being hit.

At 1641, the US aircraft carrier enterprise was hit by a bomb, killing 35 people and causing a fire.

After 38 minutes, the bomb with orange detonator flew across the ship’s tail, and the fourth one was hit immediately.

A third bomb blew up the take-off signal, killing 39 people.

In order to avoid the night battle with the Japanese army who was good at night battle, major general Fletcher hurriedly led the fleet to withdraw southward, leaving only the “enterprise” helpless on the sea and becoming the target waiting for attack.

Just then, the radar of enterprise found another batch of Japanese aircraft.

This is the second attack wave from the Ruihe.

However, these planes, which could have won the victory for Nanyun and avenged Japan’s failure in midway, made the mistake of changing their course too early.

They slipped about 50 nautical miles west of the enterprise, then gave up tracking the target and sailed back with nothing.

After the Japanese plane left, the enterprise carried out emergency repair, put out the fire in only one hour, recovered its balance, reached a speed of 24 knots, and was able to receive the plane landing.

In this naval battle, the main forces dispatched by Japan and the United States are: aircraft carrier 3:2, seaplane carrier 1:1, battleship 3:1, cruiser 16:4 and destroyer 30:11.

The strength of the Japanese army is almost half that of the United States.

However, the Japanese army sank one aircraft carrier, one cruiser and one destroyer respectively, injured one seaplane carrier and one destroyer respectively, and lost 90 aircraft.

Only one US aircraft carrier was injured and 17 aircraft were lost.

The Japanese army not only failed to realize the attempt to annihilate the US aircraft carrier formation, but also failed to achieve the purpose of reinforcements to Guadao.

It can be said that the Japanese army was completely defeated in this naval battle.

The US military successfully repulsed the Japanese counterattack, and the cactus flying team stationed on Guadao also proved its value in attacking enemy ships.

After this victory, the US Navy was able to deliver supplies here again.

However, the problem is far from being solved.

The Japanese army still carried out routine bombing every day, targeting Henderson airport and marine beachhead positions.

At the same time, the troops stationed on the island began to suffer from disease and were reduced in large numbers.

Dysentery and malaria seem to be more terrible enemies than the Japanese army.

General van der grift also began to doubt how long his army could last, because one thing he knew very well was that the Japanese would try every means to recapture the island and its airport.

In the second section, after the destruction of the Sendai division and the fierce sea and air battle, the returning Japanese pilots falsely reported their combat achievements, saying that they sank or severely damaged three US aircraft carriers, one battleship, five heavy cruisers and four destroyers.

Sanchuan, who was stationed in Rabaul, was very satisfied and ordered the transport ship regiment that had changed its course to continue to go to Guadao.

At 9:35 a.m. on August 25, 1942, the transport ship regiment escorting the landing Japanese army was found by the US aircraft in the sea area 100 nautical miles away from Guadao.

Eight “fearless” dive bombers concentrated on attacking the escorting light cruiser “Shentong” and the 9300 ton large transport ship “jinlongwan”.

After being hit, Shentong escaped with injuries.

The destroyer “muyue” rushed to rescue the “jinlongwan”.

At 10:15, the muyue was hit by three bombs and sank in an instant.

One of the four transport ships was sunk, one was injured and one was unable to sail.

Many soldiers on board died.

Only one ship managed to land on the coast of Guadao.

Due to the defeat of the naval battle, the Japanese army was unable to organize large-scale reinforcements, so they had to use destroyers to send reinforcements to Guadao in batches at night, and then shelled Henderson airport on Guadao on the way back.

This mode of transportation is called “Tokyo express” by the Japanese army and “rat smuggling” by the US Army.

In this way, the Japanese army transported the remnants of major general Kawaguchi Qingjian’s Kawaguchi detachment, Yimu detachment and Aoye detachment to Guadao in batches.

On August 31, baiwuqingji stopped fighting in Port Moresby, New Guinea and concentrated on Guadao.

The Japanese base camp takes all the troops of the powerful eighth fleet and the air force in Southeast Asia as the backing of Baiwu Qingji.

The date of the decisive attack on Guadao is set for September 12.

In order to capture the US position on September 12, Kawaguchi designed a three-sided attack plan on the airport that he thought was foolproof.

Kawaguchi divided the troops into three ways.

The main force stormed the guard of the ring defense line of the US Marine Corps, the second team approached the airport from the west, and a team of the Japanese marine corps carried out a coordinated attack on Henderson airport from the East.

Kawaguchi thought: if we win here, in Guadalcanal, it will be a miracle in the world military history.

According to the plan of the Japanese army, the Air Force stationed in Rabaul can land at this airport on September 13.

Like previous battle plans, the Japanese general was promised that he would be reinforced if necessary, but like his predecessors, he also thought he didn’t need reinforcement.

The headquarters of the 17th army of the Japanese army is far away in Rabaul, and the soldiers on Gua island are suffering unimaginable torture.

American planes bombed and strafed every day, with 71 air strikes a day at most.

There were craters everywhere, and the whole area became scorched earth, leaving only smoking trunks.

Soldiers were afraid to make a fire and could only satisfy their hunger by eating raw rice and fruit.

The jungle is particularly intolerable.

There are rotten plants everywhere.

Countless mosquitoes are bred in the humid and muggy rain forest to infect malaria.

The soldiers couldn’t sleep day and night and had nowhere to rest.

Kawaguchi also underestimated the physical consumption of the Japanese army.

Because before launching a decisive full-scale attack on the US Army, the Japanese army must cross the muddy swampSome 30000 people from the 18th division rushed to Guadao, led by Masao Maruyama.

After careful preparation, they launched another general attack in late October, determined to conquer Guadao.

In this attack of the second division, we must ensure the attack force of 17500 people, 176 heavy weapons and artillery, 20 days’ food for the total force and a large amount of military supplies.

It was decided to use a fleet of six high-speed transport ships to forcibly dock and unload on October 15 with the support of the joint fleet.

The reinforcements of the second division led by Masao Maruyama sailed from Java to Gua island by 16 destroyers.

Although they were attacked by US aircraft several times on the way, they were not damaged.

At midnight on October 9, all personnel landed safely at longa Cape in the northwest of Guadao.

At this time, the 38th Division also came from Borneo.

According to the plan of Sanchuan of the eighth fleet of the Japanese army, they land on the northwest coast of Guadao by destroyers every night.

When the second division under Maruyama’s command was unloading food, daily necessities, weapons and ammunition from the ship, a large group of Japanese troops like beggars came out of the jungle to help.

They wore long hair and beards.

Their faces were black and thin.

Their sunken eyes looked very large.

Their military uniforms were in tatters.

They didn’t wear bayonets at their waist.

Some people didn’t wear shoes.

They were barefooted and haggard.

When preparing breakfast the next morning, unexpected news came from the serviceman on duty.

The rice was stolen and even the commander’s rice box was lost.

The junior officers in charge of unloading came to report that the food of the headquarters was stolen by the soldiers of Yimu detachment and Chuankou detachment in the dark when they landed last night.

Everyone was speechless.

It turned out that those tired compatriots and soldiers were thieves! The military headquarters immediately sent a telegram to Rabaul, stating that the situation on Gua island was much more serious than expected, and asked for the immediate dispatch of additional troops and the delivery of supplies.

On October 14, under the cover of destroyers and fighters, six large transport ships unloaded the last batch of 4000 soldiers, 14 tanks, more than 10 105 mm howitzers and various materials.

The Japanese troops in Guadao have now increased to more than 22000.

After landing in four areas in the west of Guadao, the second division led by Masao Maruyama immediately headed for Osten mountain and planned to launch an attack on October 21.

First, take Henderson airport and put it in by carrier based aircraft.

Then, with the cooperation of the Navy and air force, go all out to capture and eliminate the US fleet and reinforcements in the waters of Solomon.

At the same time, after thinking, Yamamoto decided to take new actions and personally participate in the formulation of the operational plan for the joint land and sea attack on Guadao.

On October 12, a huge Japanese fleet supporting the battle of Guadao set out from Truk island.

The fleet has five aircraft carriers, namely “Xianghe”, “Ruihe”, “Ruifeng”, “Falcon” and “Flying Eagle”, carrying more than 260 aircraft.

There are also four battleships, including “King Kong”, “hazelnut”, “birui” and “fog island”, as well as several cruisers and destroyers.

The advance team is under the command of lieutenant general Kondo, and the aircraft carrier formation is under the command of Nanyun.

On the night of the 13th, Japanese planes taking off from Rabaul bombed Henderson airport violently, and 5000 gallons of aviation fuel caught fire on the airport.

At midnight, the battleships of Japan’s Third Fleet fired again violently.

Because there were shipborne water observation planes hovering over the airport to determine the target, the shelling was very accurate, and there were many bullet holes on the runway.

After one and a half hours of continuous bombing, the aircraft hangar of the US battalion was destroyed, and the officers and soldiers were forced to squat in the air raid shelter.

This was the longest naval gun shot by the Japanese Navy in the Pacific War.

More than half of the 90 U.S. aircraft were destroyed, and 35 fighter planes and 7 bombers were all damaged.

The main runway can no longer be used.

Fortunately, the grass runway on the south side can still be used.

At 22:00 on the night of October 14, US B-17 bombers bombed the Japanese transport ship regiment, and the “my wife mountain”, “Kyushu” and “Lizi” sank.

Other transport ships landed at 3:40 a.m., and a total of four transport ships unloaded materials.

After landing, the soldiers carried food and ammunition for 12 days, crossed the trees in a column, and marched to the forward position in the mud under the high temperature.

Over the past two months, the Japanese army has been continuously reinforced, and the two sides have repeatedly competed for Henderson airport on land.

The war has not stopped all day at sea and in the air.

The four aircraft carriers of the U.S. military participating in the battle of Guadao, except the hornet, have been severely damaged.

Although the U.S. Air Force has an advantage, it also has a lot of losses.

Both sides are constantly adding weight on the land and sea fronts, and either side is making every effort to defeat the other side.

The fierce fighting made the Japanese and US armies nervous.

Not only the Japanese army was cold, but also the US Army was afraid of difficulties.

In particular, the harsh climate and tense atmosphere on the island have contributed to the soldiers’ War weariness.

In October, the battle on Guadao has entered a decisive moment.

Officers and soldiers who did not know the overall situation of the war began to complain to each other, and even increased their suspicion, resulting in lower morale and even a series of vicious cycles.

Lieutenant general Gormley, commander of the US South Pacific army, advocated abandoning Guadao.

On the evening of October 15, Nimitz held a meeting to hear the officers’ views on the recent situation of the South Pacific War.

Nimitz did not express his attitude at the meeting, but made a brief speech, saying: “I don’t want to hear or see pessimism.

Remember, the enemy is also being hurt.

” On the evening of the meeting, Nimitz immediately sent a telegram to Halsey on Canton Island, asking him to go directly to Noumea.

The next morning, Admiral Nimitz sent a telegram to Admiral Ernest king of the Admiral’s Department of the navy to ask for permission for Halsey to succeed gomley, and soon received a reply of consent.

At 14 p.m. on October 18, halsi arrived at Noumea port by seaplane and became the commander of the South Pacific army.

At that time, this was the most difficult task.

On the 23rd, halsi held a meeting in Noumea.

Turner, van der grift and lieutenant general holkum, commander of the Marine Corps, who was inspecting Gua Island, attended the meeting.

First, van der grift, the commander of the first marine division, introduced the situation on Gua island.

He reviewed the battle process there, talked about the estimation of the strength and future intention of the Japanese army, and stressed that his troops were in a bad situation, malaria weakened the physique of officers and soldiers, insufficient food supply, night raids and air strikes affected sleep, etc.

it was urgent to supplement aviation and ground forces.

Then came the navy commanderThe Northeast sea area of the island appeared, and the joint fleet should try to eliminate it on the 26th.

He solemnly ordered: regardless of the weather and the activities of US aircraft, Japanese aircraft should continue reconnaissance and tracking, and be sure to find out the number and type of US ships.

The stern of the ship reeled out of the battle with a raging fire.

Nan Yun stood on the bridge of the heavy aircraft carrier “Xianghe” and calmly watched the “Ruifeng” evacuate.

He had received the report from the reconnaissance plane.

They finally found the US special task force that had searched for five days: “in the southeast direction, 200 nautical miles away, one US aircraft carrier and five other types of warships were found.

” After receiving the report, he immediately ordered 65 planes to attack.

These planes went straight to the target and did not find that 52 planes from the hornet were flying north to attack their aircraft carrier fleet.

At 8:59, the Japanese bombers swooped down from a height of 5100 meters.

The “enterprise” looked bad and hurried into a thunderstorm area, while the “Bumblebee” exposed to the open sea became the main target of the Japanese dive bombers and torpedoes.

A Japanese pilot piloted the plane and hit the flight deck of the hornet with a suicide dive of the “kamikaze commando”.

The two bombs on the plane exploded together at the moment when the plane hit the deck, and a huge flame burst into the sky on the ship’s surface.

Later, the Japanese torpedo aircraft followed from behind the ship, and two torpedoes hit the cabin.

Then, another three bombs penetrated the front deck, stuck the elevator and exploded inside the cabin.

The 10 minute attack turned the hornet into a burning hell, with thick smoke rising into the sky and explosions one after another.

At the same time, the first attack aircraft taken off from the hornet also made Nanyun’s Xianghe face the test of life and death.

One after another, the “fearless” dive bombers passed through the dense anti-aircraft fire and dived towards the ship.

Four bombs hit the “Xianghe”, four big holes were opened in the flight deck, the Gunners near the impact point were blown into flesh and blood, and several burning aircraft were lifted into the sea by the hot air waves.

In just a few minutes, the Xianghe was engulfed in the raging fire from the bow to the stern.

Nan Yun had to order his commander’s flag to be moved to a cruiser.

However, Nanyun still has capital because he sent the second attack wave an hour ago.

Just after 10 o’clock, the South Dakota suddenly received an alarm from the radar.

The second attack of the Japanese army was approaching 50 kilometers northwest.

When the aircraft was about to enter the attack position on the same day, at the command of the US guard ship, all weapons capable of shooting in the air opened fire.

The newly installed more than 100 4-joint 40mm guns of the “South Dakota” showed great power, and the air defense artillery of the “enterprise” also fired frequently.

The 24 Japanese dive bombers braved the dense bullet rain, sent out a sharp roar, and continuously dived to the enterprise.

They saw a bomb shaking straight down from the air.

The enterprise flashed from left to right like a mad beast.

The flight deck tilted sharply, the ship shook violently, and the ground crew fell on the deck, all dizzy.

However, two bombs still hit the enterprise directly, one fell on the rear of the bow lift and the other fell obliquely on the port side of the bow.

However, the huge warship still has enough power to avoid the constant attack of bombs and torpedoes, and has escaped the attack of nine torpedoes.

At 11:01, the radar of “South Dakota” found the Japanese attack aircraft group again.

The aircraft of the third attack wave took off from the Falcon, with a total of 29.

The intensive and fierce anti-aircraft fire of the US military made the Japanese aircraft impossible to approach.

It not only shot down eight Japanese aircraft, but also disrupted the attack rhythm of the remaining aircraft.

None of the torpedoes they dropped hit the target, and the “enterprise” escaped from death again.

But the former turret of the South Dakota was hit and the stern rudder of the cruiser San Juan was shot and injured.

The enterprise could not bear such cruel and crazy continuous attacks.

After recovering the aircraft hovering in the air and running out of fuel, it fled and withdrew from the battle.

However, Nan Yun doesn’t want the US warship to run away.

While letting the wounded “Ruifeng” and “Xianghe” withdraw from the battle to the north, he ordered the surviving “Falcon” and “Ruihe” to continue to go south to pursue the US ship.

Just after 13 PM, the fourth attack wave set out.

The plane taking off from the Ruihe found the Bumblebee being towed.

The unlucky hornet was torpedoed by Japan again, and the captain had to order to abandon the ship.

Then came the “falcon Eagle” aircraft, carried out a final attack on it.

The hornet was exhausted.

In order not to let the Japanese capture the aircraft carrier famous for carrying Doolittle’s air raid on Tokyo, the US destroyer fired 16 torpedoes at the abandoned ship.

When the Japanese ship that came later found it, it had become a pile of scrap iron floating on the sea.

In order to vent their hatred, the Japanese ship fired four torpedoes on the hornet again.

The Santa Cruz naval battle is the fourth large-scale decisive battle between the Japanese joint fleet and the US Pacific Fleet since the beginning of the Pacific War.

As a result of the decisive battle, Yamamoto 56 was slightly better in tactics, sinking and injuring one US aircraft carrier, two US destroyers, and one US cruiser, battleship and destroyer.

However, Yamamoto has also paid too high a price for this.

Two aircraft carriers have been seriously damaged and can no longer participate in the war.

More seriously, compared with the loss of only 74 aircraft by the US Army, the Japanese army lost more than 100.

In particular, most of the well-trained and experienced pilots have died in the sea and can no longer be replaced.

Angry Yamamoto was completely disappointed with Nanyun, so he dismissed him.

The Japanese joint fleet is at the end of its might.

Due to the gap between the industrial potential and supply potential of Japan and the United States, the last thing Yamamoto wants to see is: no matter how the workers of Japanese aircraft manufacturers and shipyards work overtime day and night, it is impossible to exceed the huge industrial production capacity of the United States.

There are fewer and fewer highly trained pilots in the joint fleet.

Compared with the awesome replenishment force of the United States, Japan is just wasting its equipment and personnel in vain.

Section 4 the US military obtains the sea control of Guadao sea areaOn October 24, 1942, President Roosevelt instructed the Joint Chiefs of staff to do their best to deliver goods and personnel to Gua island.

Under the president’s personal intervention, the US military not only dispatched the latest cruisers, destroyers and submarines to Guadao, but also dispatched aircraft and ships from Hawaii and Australia to strengthen the South Pacific forces.

Halsi also used all mobilized means of transport for Gua island to transport ammunition, fuel and food.

On October 30, the 155 mm howitzer nicknamed “long arm Tom” by the soldiers was transported to Guadao.

This is the gun urgently needed by van der Griff.

It is better than the Japanese 150 mm gun in both range and shooting effect.

The Japanese base camp believes that after the battle of Santa Cruz, the war situation is developing in favor of the Japanese army.

It only needs to further strengthen Guadao’s strength to win the final victory.

Therefore, it was decided to transfer the independent mixed 21st brigade and regiment stationed in the East Indies to Rabaul under the organizational system of the 17th army.

The 51st division in the Chinese battlefield was also transferred to the South Pacific battlefield, and the combat materials needed by Guadao were transported as soon as possible.

On October 27, the chief of the combat section of the Japanese base camp Army Department, Zhuo Shiro Hattori, and the chief of staff, Chuan Ba Kondo, boarded Guadao to assist Baiwu in formulating a combat plan and organizing the third general attack.

They plan to send the main force of the 38th division to Guadao in early November and the 51st division to Guadao in early December, and then concentrate a considerable amount of heavy artillery and sufficient ammunition to launch the third general attack in mid and late December.

At that time, the most elite infantry regiment of the Sixth Division will land on armored transport ships to cooperate with the operation.

However, this did not change the difficult situation of the Guadao Japanese army.

In the battle of Santa Cruz, two Japanese aircraft carriers were injured and had to return home for repair.

Moreover, the carrier aircraft suffered heavy losses and could not be replenished for the time being.

The shore based airmen in the South Pacific region also suffered great losses in the battle.

Coupled with the lack of advance base, they must take off from Rabaul.

Due to the limitation of flight range, the aircraft taking off from Rabaul can only stay over Guadao for 15 minutes and can not effectively suppress the U.S. military airport on Guadao.

Therefore, it is impossible to obtain the air control of Guadao and organize large-scale transportation.

The night transportation by destroyers can only be a drop in the bucket.

The Japanese army was tortured in the jungle.

Guadao’s “Gua” is similar to hunger in Japanese pronunciation, so the Japanese army called Guadao “hungry island”.

Due to the huge casualties in the battle of Guadao and the repeated wars between the two sides, there is no sign of an end.

Some people call Guadao a “bottomless pit”.

From these titles, we can see the low morale of the Japanese army and the rise of anti war sentiment.

In the subsequent counterattack launched by the U.S. military, the Japanese army was forced to retreat into the jungle because of days of fierce fighting, heavy casualties, lack of supplies and disease.

On November 1, the counterattack American troops crossed the matanico river.

The resistance encountered along the way was minimal.

Until Cruz Cape, the Japanese army carried out tenacious defense with the help of complex terrain.

With the support of strong artillery, the US Army finally occupied the Japanese position after fierce battle.

From November 2 to 10, the Japanese army dispatched 65 destroyers and 2 cruisers to deliver troops and supplies to Guadao.

However, due to the limited carrying capacity of warships, the personnel and materials transported are very limited, and heavy equipment cannot be transported, so it is difficult to organize the planned third general attack.

On November 7, the US “cactus” Air Force stationed in Guadao attacked 11 Japanese destroyers staying in the “trough sea” for transportation at night.

Then the torpedo boats on tulaji Island joined the attack, further damaging the transportation of the Japanese army.

On November 8, halsi personally flew to Gua island for a short inspection to boost morale.

At the press conference held on the island, Halsey published the famous plan to win the war – “eliminate the Japanese devils! Eliminate the Japanese devils! Constantly eliminate the Japanese devils!” The plan immediately made headlines in the newspaper.

As soon as halsi returned to the headquarters in Noumea, he received the report of the special intelligence group of the Pearl Harbor Navy.

They successfully decoded the new code of the Japanese army and mastered the Japanese army’s battle plan: air attack on Guadao airport on November 11, surface ships shelled Guadao airport on the evening of November 12, and aircraft carrier formation was launched on the 13th to cover the landing of a large number of ground forces on Guadao.

Combined with the reconnaissance results of air reconnaissance and other channels, it was also found that the Japanese troops were frequently mobilized in Truk, Rabaul and shotland island areas.

It seems that a major war is imminent.

In order to prevent the possible landing of the Japanese army, van der grift commanded the troops to continue to advance.

On November 10, with the support of heavy artillery fire, the US army launched a pincer attack on the Japanese beachhead.

After the fierce battle, except that a small part of the Japanese army fled into the jungle, most of them were annihilated.

The U.S. Army seized the Liko beach position that posed a great threat to it and destroyed all the materials accumulated by the Japanese army on the beach.

In order to fully transport troops, equipment and materials to Gua Island, halsi organized a transport fleet to transport about 6000 army and Marine Corps troops and urgently needed heavy equipment.

The fleet is divided into two parts.

Formation a, under the command of major general Scott, is composed of three landing transport ships, escorted by one cruiser and four destroyers.

It set out from San Espirito island on November 9 and plans to arrive at Gua island on November 11.

Formation B, under the command of major general Callahan, has four transport ships, escorted by four cruisers and eight destroyers.

It set sail from Noumea on November 8 and is scheduled to arrive at Guadao on November 12.

By November 10, 1942, the number of Japanese troops on Guadao had reached 30000.

However, the upcoming general offensive urgently needs to transport a large number of troops and heavy equipment, and the night transport of destroyers alone is far from enough.

The 38th regiment and the first regiment of the Japanese Army decided to send 13500 people and equipment to the island.

The fleet is composed of 11 fast transport ships and 12 destroyers.

Under the command of experienced Lai San Tanaka, the fleet set out from shotland island on the 12th and plans to arrive at Gua island on the 14th.

In order to ensure the safety of this fleet, the Japanese joint fleet dispatched 2 aircraft carriers, 4 battleships, 12 cruisers and 36 destroyers to provide cover and support for the 38th division, and will conduct large-scale shelling on Guadao Henderson airport at night on the 12th and 13th.

Knowing that the Japanese joint fleet will be dispatched on a large scale, Halsey ordered Kincaid to command the 16th special task force formation and Li to lead the 64th special task forceAll the special task force formation headed for Gua island and ordered the shore based Air Force stationed on San Espirito island and 24 submarines operating in Solomon Islands to actively support the operation of surface ships.

In order to suppress the US Army’s shore based aviation and ensure the safe arrival of the reinforcement formation on Guadao, the Japanese army plans to send out an artillery formation to bombard Henderson airport.

This task was undertaken by the first artillery formation commanded by Hiroshi Abe, with a total of 2 battleships, 1 cruiser and 14 destroyers.

At this time, the navigation queue is: “birui” and “fog island” battleships run in a single column.

The cruiser “Changliang” and six destroyers “Xuefeng”, “tianjinfeng”, “zhaoyue”, “Xiaohao”, “dianhao” and “Lei” formed a semicircular warning circle in front of the battleship.

The destroyers “Chaoyun”, “Shiyu” and “mayyu” in front of the warning circle are the left avant-garde, and the destroyers “Xili” and “Chunyu” are the right avant-garde, in case of possible attack by us torpedo boats.

Three destroyers are patrolling west of Savo island.

At 23:30 on November 12, the US cruiser Helena equipped with new radar found the Japanese fleet 14 nautical miles away and reported to the flagship.

However, general Callahan, who served as the commander, did not take advantage of this opportunity to launch an attack first, but directed the US ship to make two right turns.

At this time, the foremost Destroyer “Cushing” suddenly found that the Japanese fleet was 3000 meters away and immediately turned the rudder to seize the favorable position for launching torpedoes.

In this way, in order to avoid collision, the three destroyers behind had to turn sharply, while the cruiser in the middle quickly turned left to avoid the rapidly turning destroyer.

The distance between American ships was rapidly reduced and the formation was disordered.

Callahan’s flagship “San Francisco” needs to rely on friendly ships equipped with new radar to report the enemy situation due to poor radar performance, and the same telephone must be used to listen to the report and give orders to all ships, resulting in unnecessary delay.

When the Cushing found the target, it asked for permission to carry out torpedo attack, but when the Cushing received the reply of agreeing to attack, it could not find the target to be attacked.

At this time, the Japanese also found the US ship.

Because they didn’t expect to encounter at night, they caught the Japanese army unprepared for the moment.

Abe Hongyi immediately ordered to replace the high explosive bombs and incendiary bombs originally prepared to shoot at the airport with armor piercing bombs to attack the warship.

The Japanese army’s ammunition transportation was extremely fast.

The ammunition replacement was completed in just 10 minutes and was ready to attack the US warship.

At 2350, the U.S. military formation was mixed with the Japanese formation.

The Japanese ship “birui” turned on the searchlight and was shining on the first ship “Atlanta” in the U.S. cruiser queue.

Scott, who commanded on the Atlantis, saw that the situation was very unfavorable to him.

Without waiting for Callahan’s order, he immediately ordered: “fire! Anti irradiation!” Sooner or later, the first batch of Japanese shells had accurately hit the bridge of the Atlantis.

Scott and his staff, who were directing operations on the bridge, were all killed except one.

As the Atlantis opened fire, other US ships also began to shoot.

For a time, there was gunfire everywhere.

You came and went on both sides.

Shells flew, torpedoes churned, flames and smoke filled the air, and the formation was disrupted.

When Callahan saw that there were Japanese ships on both sides, he ordered: “odd ships shoot to the right and even ships shoot to the left.

” This order seemed to deal with both the enemy on the left and the enemy on the right.

In fact, some US ships were busy looking for targets on the side of the designated shooting, but they were fiercely attacked by Japanese ships on the other side, and immediately fell into chaos.

The Japanese destroyer took advantage of this opportunity to launch a torpedo attack.

The wounded “Atlanta” company hit two torpedoes and sank soon.

The “Cushing” came to the rescue, but it was found by the “birui”, and then it was shot violently.

“Cushing” fired six torpedoes in a row.

Due to the Japanese ship’s rapid evasion, no one hit, but she was hit by the Japanese ship’s heavy artillery into the ammunition cabin, causing an explosion and sinking.

The destroyer Lafite behind the Cushing almost collided with the birui.

“Lafite” immediately launched a torpedo, but because it was too close, the safety device was too late to open, so the torpedo hit the “birui” but did not explode.

“Lafite” then fired the “birui” with a 20mm mechanism gun.

The “birui” was also colored and blasted with a 356mm main gun.

The “Lafite” hit twice in a row, and the superstructure was almost blown up.

Later, it was sunk by two torpedo strikes.

Following Callahan’s order, the third destroyer of the U.S. Army, “strett”, fired to the right and launched an artillery battle with the “birui”.

It was repeatedly shot, and its steering gear and radar were damaged.

It still insisted on fighting.

It rushed to 2000 meters away from the “birui” and fired four torpedoes.

Unfortunately, none of them hit.

The fourth Destroyer “aubonon” was firing fiercely at the “birui” 1200 meters away.

After receiving karahan’s instruction not to shoot the friendly ship, he thought he had hit the friendly ship by mistake and stopped shooting.

When the resolution was clear, two torpedoes were fired at the same time when the shooting resumed, but they missed.

In the scuffle, Callahan’s flagship “San Francisco” fired at several Japanese ships, with multiple hits.

He thought there might be a mistake to hit a friendly ship, so he ordered not to shoot a friendly ship and asked to aim at a large ship.

“San Francisco” was shot by the naval gun of the Japanese battleship “fog island”, which was seriously injured, and the steering gear failed and could not be controlled.

One of the Japanese destroyers passed by its port side.

Just as the two ships crossed, the Japanese ship took the opportunity to shoot at its superstructure with machine guns.

All the officers such as Callahan and the captain who commanded the battle on the bridge were swept down.

The “Portland” cruiser behind the “San Francisco” first fought with the Japanese ship on the right, and then turned north to shoot at another Japanese ship.

In the scuffle, he was hit by a torpedo at the stern of the ship, the steering gear was destroyed, lost navigation ability, and turned around in place.

However, he continued to fight and fired on the “birui”, and finally was towed back to tulaji the next day.

Helena was equipped with a new type of radar, which was clear about the battlefield situation and did not hit friendly ships by mistake.

In the scuffle, the Japanese ship was fiercely shot.

When the Japanese ship retreated, it was pursued with artillery fire.

Juno, the last cruiser of the US Army, was torpedoed into the boiler cabin during the battle, lost its combat effectiveness and had to withdraw from the battle.

The four destroyers behind the US military Palace also quickly stepped forward and put into battle.

The “Allen ward” fired fiercely at the Japanese destroyer “Xili” with the identification light on.

The two sides fought fiercely, and finally sank the “Xili”.

They were also hit with several bullets and slightly injured.

The “Patton” fired four torpedoes at the Japanese ship.

It was also struck in the middle of the ship by a Japanese torpedo.

It was almost blown in half and sank quickly.

The “munsen” fired 10 torpedoes at the Japanese ship on the right and sank the Japanese destroyer “Xiao”.

However, the ship recklessly turned on the searchlight to look for other targets, but it exposed itself.

It was intensively fired by the Japanese ship and was hit by 37 rounds of artillery shells, three of which were 356mm heavy artillery shells.

It was seriously injured and sank the next day.

The destroyer “Fletcher” is equipped with a new type of radar, which can clearly identify the target.

In battle, it shoots at the Japanese ship first.

When the friendly ship also shoots at the Japanese ship, it transfers fire to other Japanese ships, and then indicates the target for the friendly ship, which plays a guiding role.

It is also the only US warship that has not suffered any damage in this naval battle.

This is a close combat like hand to hand combat on land.

It lasted only 24 minutes and the U.S. military suffered heavy losses.

The Japanese army also paid a great price.

The destroyers “Xili” and “Xiao” were sunk.

The cruiser “Changliang” and the destroyers “Lei”, “Xuefeng” and “Tianjin wind” were damaged to varying degrees.

The flagship “birui” battleship became the key target of the US Army’s concentrated attack in the battle.

It was shot more than 50 times and basically lost its combat effectiveness.

Abe felt overwhelmed by such a chaotic night battle and was afraid that if he continued to go deep, he would be attacked by American torpedo boats on tulaji Island, so he decided to give up the plan of shelling the airport and lead his troops to retreat.

As the “birui” was more and more seriously injured, it had to take the “Xuefeng” destroyer as the flagship in the early morning of the 13th, and the rest of the command headquarters retreated northward.

Yamamoto instructed to tow the “birui” with the “foggy island”, but Abe believed that American planes returning during the day would flock.

Not only could the “foggy island” not bring the “birui” back, but it was likely to be buried in vain.

Therefore, he did not implement Yamamoto’s order, leaving only the “Changliang” cruiser to protect next to the “birui”, and the other ships returned at full speed.

As expected, after dawn, the shipborne dive bombers of the US “enterprise”, the bombers of the “cactus” air force on Gua island and the B-17 bombers on San Espirito flew in waves.

The “birui” hit several rounds and was unable to return.

Abe ordered to transfer the photos of the emperor on board to the “Xili” at 16:00, and then ordered the sinking.

For the US military, the less injured “Helena” with the seriously injured “Juno” and “San Francisco” cruisers retreated to San Espirito island under the escort of three destroyers.

However, Juno’s luck is not much better than birui’s.

On the 13th, the submarine of “yingriyu” was attacked by the volcanic eruption of “yingriyu” on the 13th, just like the volcanic eruption of “yingriyu” on the 13th.

Other ships were afraid of being attacked again, did not dare to stay for rescue, and accelerated their southward withdrawal.

Most of the more than 700 officers and soldiers on the Juno, including the five sons of Thomas Sullivan and his wife in Waterloo, Iowa, were buried in the belly of the fish, except for a few who were narrowly rescued.

In order to prevent such a tragedy from happening again, the US Navy specially issued a decree afterwards, stipulating that the immediate relatives of the same family shall not serve on the same warship.

In this naval battle, although the US military suffered heavy losses, two cruisers and four destroyers were sunk, two cruisers and two destroyers were injured, and nearly 1000 people, including generals Callahan and Scott, were killed, it should be seen that the US military prevented the Japanese battleships from shelling Guadao airport, thus forcing the Japanese reinforcement formation to turn back halfway, This has created favorable conditions for future operations.

As the Abe formation failed to bombard Guadao airport as planned on the 12th, Yamamoto ordered Tanaka reinforcement formation to return.

In order to ensure the return safety of the reinforced formation, Yamamoto decided to organize the second artillery attack on the airport.

The second artillery attack formation was composed of four heavy cruisers, two light cruisers and six destroyers under the command of Sanchuan, commander of the eighth fleet.

Since November 9, the Department of Sanchuan has carried out cross-strait shooting training for three consecutive days.

After receiving the order, it set out from shotland island at 4:30 on the 13th.

In order to avoid the air reconnaissance of the U.S. military, he made a special detour to the north of shivazel island and St.

Isabel island and arrived in the sea area of Savo island at midnight.

Sanchuan divided the 12 warships under his command into two teams.

Xicun, the commander of the seventh corps, commanded two heavy cruisers, one light cruiser and four destroyers to form an artillery unit and went straight to Guadao.

Sanchuan commanded the remaining two heavy cruisers, one light cruiser and two destroyers to form a main unit to guard West of Savo island and cover the action of the artillery unit.

At 2330 hours, the artillery unit arrived in the waters of Cape longue on Gua island.

The shipborne seaplane on the heavy cruiser took off, dropped flares over the airport, and provided target guidance and impact correction for the warship.

The Japanese ship immediately began shelling.

The heavy cruiser “Linggu” fired 504 203 mm shells, and the heavy cruiser “moye” fired 485 203 mm shells.

The two ships fired 989 shells, destroyed 1 US bomber, 17 fighter planes, injured 32 fighter planes, and blasted the runway with bullet marks.

The Japanese artillery unit withdrew immediately after 30 minutes of shelling.

At dawn on the 14th, it met with the main unit in the sea south of New Georgia Island and returned to Shortland Island together.

Previously, the Tanaka reinforcement formation ordered to return has returned to shotland island at 11:00 on the 13th.

However, in order to transport troops and materials to Guadao on the night of the 14th and catch up with the upcoming general attack, the reinforcement formation set sail again at 15:30 on the 13th.

On the way, he learned that Sanchuan had shelled Guadao airport.

Tanaka thought it impossible for the US military to send planes to attack immediately, so he accelerated southward.

It was not until about 5:00 on the 14th that the reinforcement formation east of New Georgia was discovered by the US reconnaissance plane.

The US military thought that the Japanese offensive had been stopped after the tragic naval battle on the night of the 12th, but Henderson airport was shelled again on the night of the 13th, and the Japanese reinforcement formation was found on the morning of the 14th.

It can be seen that the Japanese army is determined to win Guadao.

Senior US military officials were extremely shocked, and some even proposed to abandon Guadao.

Finally, President RooseveltThe unification decided to stick to it, and halsi also believed that it must be fought.

After the hard work of the US Navy’s construction brigade all night, the craters on the runway were basically filled up, and Guadao airport could take off again before dawn.

In the 10 hours from 5:55 on the 14th to 15:30 p.m., the carrier based aircraft of the U.S. aircraft carrier “enterprise” and the shore based aviation forces on Guadao and San Espirito successively launched several air strikes on the Sanchuan artillery formation on the way back, sinking the heavy cruiser “Yili” and injuring the heavy cruisers “niaohai”, “moye” and the light cruiser “Isuzu”, Avenged last night.

Then, the US aircraft made every effort to clean up the Japanese Tanaka reinforcement formation, launched eight rounds of attacks in a row, bombed and sank six of the 11 transport ships in the Tanaka reinforcement formation, and one returned due to serious injury.

In Tanaka, known as the “tenacious” in the Japanese Navy, the destroyer commanding the escort made every effort to resist the US air raid and quickly rescued the officers and soldiers who fell into the water.

According to incomplete statistics, only six destroyers rescued more than 4800 army officers and soldiers.

Tanaka lived up to the title of “tenacious” and continued to advance to Guadao despite fierce air strikes.

After sunset, the U.S. military dispatched three more bombers to conduct a night attack on the reinforcement formation, forcing the Japanese to suspend the reinforcement operation.

After nightfall, Tanaka command formation took the opportunity that the US aircraft could not organize large-scale night air strikes and advanced to Guadao.

At about 2:00 on the 15th, four transport ships of the Japanese reinforcement formation finally arrived at tasag beach on Gua island and began unloading immediately.

Tanaka led the destroyer to evacuate at 2:30 to avoid being found by US aircraft after dawn.

However, at dawn, although the destroyer withdrew, the transport ship had not yet gone far.

The US “cactus” air force indeed sank the four unprotected transport ships and burned all the materials just unloaded on the beach – 260 boxes of ammunition and 1500 bags of rice with incendiary bombs.

The Japanese army’s painstaking reinforcement plan failed again.

Earlier, Yamamoto ordered the forward force of the joint fleet operating in the South Pacific to redeploy troops to organize the shelling of Guadao airport again.

Kadima Kondo, commander of the forward force, mobilized one battleship, four cruisers and nine destroyers from all over the country to meet 250 nautical miles north of Guadao on the 14th, and then headed south to prepare for the shelling of Guadao Henderson airport at 22 p.m. on the 14th.

Kondo divided the 14 warships under his command into three teams: Major General Hashimoto commanded a light cruiser and three destroyers to form a Hashimoto team, which is responsible for long-distance vigilance.

Major general Kimura commands a light cruiser and six destroyers to form a Kimura detachment, which is responsible for direct cover.

Kondo took the “Aida” heavy cruiser as the flagship and personally commanded the remaining 1 battleship and 2 heavy cruisers as his team to undertake the artillery task.

At about 1400 hours, when we went to the north of Saint Isabel Island, we received a report from the reconnaissance plane that a fleet composed of four U.S. cruisers and two destroyers was found south of Gua island.

Kondo believes that U.S. capital ships dare not enter the waters of Guadao at night, and most of them are attacked by cruisers and destroyers.

Therefore, it is decided that if it encounters a US ship, it will be annihilated first, and then the artillery mission will be carried out.

At about 19:00, all units of Kondo fleet had entered the sea area north of Savo island.

In fact, the US fleet discovered by the Japanese reconnaissance aircraft was the 64th special task force formation commanded by Willis Augustus Lee Jr.

, with two battleships and four destroyers.

They originally came to intercept the shelling formation of Sanchuan on the order of halsi, but they didn’t arrive in time because it was too far away.

At dusk, major general Li received a briefing from the enemy.

At 16:00, the Japanese battleship formation entered 150 nautical miles north of Guadao and continued to sail towards Guadao.

Major General Li is considered to be the smartest think tank of the US Navy and a radar expert.

He believes that in order to ensure Guadao airport, we must try our best to block the invading Japanese army.

He knew that this must be a difficult and unusual battle, so he formulated a more prudent battle plan: in order to avoid the scuffle like that on the night of the 12th and give the battleship more room for maneuver, he planned to fight in the relatively open sea area near Cape Esperance.

After dark, major general Li led his fleet across Tiedi bay to Cape Esperance.

When a warship passes through Tiedi Bay, it can be judged that there are a large number of sunken warships on the seabed through the pointer of the magnetic compass.

This seems to mean that this is the burial place of the Japanese ship.

At this time, the cool wind blowing from Gua island is no longer filled with the disgusting stench produced by the decay of tropical plants as in the past, but exudes the smell of honeysuckle – which has never been before, so many people on the warship think it is a good omen – a harbinger of victory.

When the US fleet entered Tiedi Bay from the North waterway of Savo Island, it was found by the Japanese Hashimoto unit, and the Japanese army chased after it.

Major General Li predicted that the Japanese army would arrive at about 23 o’clock, so he led the US fleet to patrol around Savo island.

When turning from the southeast of Savo island to the west, major general Li’s flagship “Washington” radar found the Japanese Hashimoto unit.

Major General Li immediately ordered to turn the rudder to the West and cross the Japanese route to prepare for the battle.

Hashimoto launched an attack in two ways.

On the one hand, the light cruiser “Chuan” and the destroyer “Fubo” attacked from the east of Savo island.

On the other way, the destroyer “ayambo” launched a sneak attack from the west of Savo island.

The Japanese Army thought that the U.S. fleet was just composed of cruisers and destroyers, and the “chuannei” approached the U.S. ship beyond its capacity.

Hashimoto realized that the U.S. Army was a powerful battleship until the shells of the heavy artillery of the U.S. battleship landed next to the Japanese ship, raising a huge water column.

As soon as Hashimoto reported to Kondo, he ordered to release a smoke screen and quickly retreat with three Japanese ships.

The “Aya wave” walking behind was not so lucky.

The US military had already found its whereabouts through radar, quickly transferred fire and focused on it.

The “Aya wave” was shot one after another, causing two explosions and sank.

At this time, five warships of the Japanese Kimura formation also sailed from the west of Savo island.

The five Japanese ships sailed close to Savo island and were cleverly hidden in the radar echo of Savo Island, which was not found in time by the US military radar.

When approaching the US ship, it suddenly opened fire and fired torpedoes.

The four avant-garde destroyers of the U.S. Army were caught off guard and had no time to respond.

The “Volcker” and “Preston” were sunk”Wen” and “Ben ham” were badly hit and lost their combat effectiveness.

The battleship “Washington” behind the destroyer turned left and the “South Dakota” turned right to avoid the uncontrolled destroyer in front.

As a result, the two battleships of the U.S. military were scattered in frustration and fell into a passive situation of fighting on their own.

Originally, Kondo thought that the two units of Hashimoto and Kimura were more than enough to deal with the formation of cruisers and destroyers of the U.S. military, so he led his team and two other destroyers to cruise in the northwest of Savo Island, making full preparations for shelling the airport instead of going into the current naval battle.

But when he got the report of the discovery of the US battleship, he hurried to join the war.

He seized the opportunity of the “South Dakota” circuit failure and the loss of power of the turret, opened fire with all his strength, destroyed the superstructure of the “South Dakota” beyond recognition, and had to retreat to the southwest.

In this way, major general Li was left with a warship, the flagship “Washington”.

Despite being outnumbered, major general Li was not afraid.

With excellent radar performance, the “Washington” accurately measured the position of the Japanese ship.

Then, under the guidance of the radar, the precision shooting was carried out.

While the “Washington” bombarded the “fog island” with all 406 mm main guns and some 127 mm auxiliary guns, it also bombarded other Japanese ships with some 127 mm auxiliary guns.

The Japanese heavy cruisers “Aida” and “Kaohsiung” were injured.

In order to divert the Japanese ships near the South Dakota, major general Li commanded the Washington to sail northwest first.

Kondo saw that the gunfire of the US ship was very fierce and difficult to win.

He had to give up the plan of shelling the airport and ordered to release a smoke screen to withdraw from the battle at 3 a.m. on the 15th.

“Fog island” was unable to retreat with Kondo due to the failure of its steering gear.

Fearing that it would be attacked by US aircraft after dawn, it opened the submarine valve and sank in the early morning of the 15th.

The Japanese destroyer “Chaoyun” also sank due to severe injury.

So far, the naval battle, which lasted three days intermittently, came to an end.

In this fierce naval battle that lasted for three days, the US military carried two heavy cruisers, six destroyers, one wounded battleship, two cruisers and four destroyers, and successfully transported 6000 troops, heavy equipment and supplies to Guadao.

The Japanese army sank 2 battleships, 1 heavy cruiser, 4 destroyers, 10 transport ships, 1 heavy damage transport ship, 6 wounded cruisers and 3 destroyers.

Only 2000 people and 5 tons of materials were transported to Guadao.

This is a decisive naval battle between the two sides in the process of competing for Guadao.

The main purpose of both sides is to transport reinforcements and materials to Guadao and prevent each other’s reinforcement.

In the naval battle, the transportation of the US Army was completed smoothly.

The Japanese army not only paid a great price, but also lost 85% of the transported personnel and 99% of the materials.

The reinforcement attempt failed again.

Moreover, through this naval battle, the U.S. military has obtained the sea control of Guadao sea area.

In addition, the air control of Guadao area has long been controlled by the U.S. military, and the Japanese joint fleet has suffered huge losses in the naval battle.

Yamamoto believes that the weakened navy can no longer afford to support the army’s operation at such a huge price.

Since then, Yamamoto no longer sent surface ships above cruisers to Guadao, but only used destroyers to transport a small amount of personnel and materials at night, which exacerbated the difficult situation of the Japanese army on Guadao.

On the contrary, the US military sent a group of troops originally in New Guinea to Guadao on November 16, the day after the end of the naval battle, which greatly strengthened the strength of the US military on Guadao.

Van der grift thought that victory was in hand! The Guadao naval battle was a decisive turning point.

For the US military, this naval battle is the starting point leading to victory.

At the same time, on November 3, in the African battlefield, the German African Legion retreated.

On November 8, American troops entered Morocco.

On November 13, the Soviet army recovered Tobruk.

On November 19, the Soviet army drove the German army out of the last block of Stalingrad.

On November 17, President Roosevelt announced in New York: “in the past two weeks, there have been many good news, and the turning point of this war has finally come.

” Speaking of the significance of the fierce battle on Guadao, general Halsey said: in the early morning of November 15, the Japanese Navy ended in failure.

Before that, it was the United States that followed Japan’s intentions.

After that, they had to retreat with our baton.

In mid September 1942, Hideki Tojo heard the war situation report made by the officials who came back from the inspection of Guadao in the office of the Secretary of state of the army.

He said: the Navy launched this campaign without our knowledge and let our army wipe our ass.

it’s very bad! Why not build an airport nearby? The Navy says it has absolute superiority and can fight.

Why can’t it control the sea during the day? Did you get the wrong place to attack and defend? How can we restore the decline? In late October, major friction also occurred within the Japanese army.

Tanaka shin, the director of operations of the headquarters Command Department of Japan, has always been the director of the military affairs bureau of the provincial army, Sato Hyun, and asked to increase transport ships and aircraft, and to increase sufficient troops and equipment, go to the ocean near Guadao, restore air and sea control, and seize Guadao, which was rejected.

After the defeat of the Guadao naval battle and the sinking of the troop carrier of the 38th division, there were very few transport ships available to the army and navy.

On November 6, the headquarters of the army asked the army province to reinforce 370000 ton ships, but the army province resolutely refused.

When the two sides were at loggerheads, the Navy also came to ask for reinforcements of 130000 ton ships, and the parties were at loggerheads with each other.

Tanaka Xinyi repeatedly insisted that 30000 people should not starve to death on the desert island.

He hoarsely demanded that 370000 tons of ships be allocated and refused to give up.

Sato was determined not to give it, saying: “30000 people starved to death on the desert island and were heartbroken, but we can’t lose 70 million people in Japan (referring to the total population of Japan at that time) because of saving 30000 people.

We can’t trade the fate of the country for a Guadalcanal Island.

” Sato was in charge of military administration and was in a dilemma.

On November 8, Hideki Tojo also said: “if Sato agrees to the requirements of the army general command to supply 370000 tons of ships, the civilian demand for ships will be insufficient, and the steel production will be reduced by half, which will affect the national strength and the war can no longer be maintained.

” Retreat from Gua island? How to clean up the aftermath work? Then it must be greeted on Bougainville or central New GuineaAttack the allies.

The soldiers in front are bleeding and starving to death, and the leading group in the rear is quarrelling like turning the pot.

Tanaka was so angry that he beat Sato Hyun and slapped the military director in the face.

At another meeting, he even scolded Sato in front of Hideki Tojo.

That night, Tojo ordered Tanaka to be removed from his post and transferred him to the front line of Myanmar to be the head of the division.

Only one year after the war, not only oil and steel, but also aircraft and transport ships were insufficient, which made the leaders of Japanese militarism a big headache.

The harsh reality is very different from their optimistic estimates before the war.

The battle for ships among the military commanders shows that Japan’s national strength does not allow the Pacific War to continue.

At that time, not only Hideki Tojo, the military headquarters and politicians knew this, but also the capitalists in the financial sector.

Dongtiao, who was arrogant in those days, is now dizzy and helpless.

On November 12, the service department of the second division of the operation Department of the Japanese base camp returned to Tokyo from Guadao and immediately reported to Hideki Tojo.

He attributed the reasons for the failure to: first, the Allied forces had fully mastered the air control.

Second, the Allies were ready for fierce and ingenious firepower, while the Japanese were unarmed.

Third, the Allied forces coordinated ground and air attacks, and the Japanese army had nothing at all.

Fourth, the ability of Japanese commanders is weak.

Fifth, morale is paralyzed.

The combat effectiveness of the second division was reduced to 14, and the health status was particularly poor.

Sun exposure, high fever, malaria and dysentery, malnutrition, transporting a patient needs 4 to 8 people.

Sixth, although there are 46 howitzers, field guns, mountain guns and anti-aircraft guns, there is a serious shortage of ammunition.

Seventh, there is a great shortage of food.

Even if a little can be transported, it will not be delivered to the soldiers on the front line.

Eighth, the military commander is still healthy and said he would continue to work, but he has not mastered the actual situation, especially the facts at the forefront.

Ninth, the Allied ship regiment boldly landed in the daytime without any scruples.

The Japanese army could only sneak in submarines at night, and the food transported to the land by 10 submarines was only enough for two days.

On November 16, the operation Department of the base camp once again requested Hideki Tojo to requisition transport ships, so as to have a transport capacity of 240000 tons in December, 200000 tons in late January and 130000 tons in late February.

Hideki Tojo immediately replied and put forward several irrelevant measures.

Finally, he said, “the headquarters has a great responsibility to starve 30000 people to death!” He pointed to Shinda y Ichiro and other two section chiefs and said, “don’t come back to see me!” And added in a sharp tone, “meet in hell!” The “imperial army”, which has always claimed to be victorious, has become a journey of “three consecutive defeats” in the face of the facts of blood and iron.

Emperor Hirohito could not hold his breath.

On November 19, he said to the commander of the Eighth Army, Imamura: “the resistance of the enemy in the South Pacific is related to the rise and fall of the country.

We should quickly rescue the troops in the hard struggle and restore the decline! Imamura! Work hard, please!” In order to fight fat people, the Japanese base camp still kept sending telegrams to the soldiers on Gua Island, conveying the emperor’s unwavering will and asking the emperor’s “thighs” to continue fighting on the island under the equator.

On December 10, Emperor Hirohito led Hideki Tojo and other senior officials of the supreme command to Kyoto by special train.

On the 12th, he went to Yuzhi Yamada to pay homage to Yishi temple and pray for the blessing of the gods.

During the tense period of the war, the emperor went to worship his ancestors for the first time in history, which shows that the Japanese ruling group has reached the point of being at a loss.

On the evening of December 25, the chief of the operation section of the headquarters of the general staff, Ichiro Zhentian, returned to Tokyo from Rabaul, where the headquarters of the eighth front army was located, to meet with the leaders of Sugiyama and other base camps.

After hearing the report, the head of the base camp immediately held an emergency meeting and believed that the army on Gua island could no longer support it and had to retreat.

On the morning of the 28th, the chief of general staff of the army, Sugiyama yuan, and the Minister of naval orders, Hideki Nagano, decided to play the real situation to the emperor and asked to withdraw from Guadao.

At the pre imperial meeting on December 31, it was decided to cancel the plan of sending two other divisions to counter attack, and decided to withdraw from Guadao.

After planning, it was decided to launch a “retreat operation” from February 1 to allow the soldiers on Guadao to escape from the tragic state.

The base camp is called “preparing for a comeback”.

On New Year’s day in 1943, the undead Japanese soldiers on Guadao received the last grain, two pieces of dry bread and a piece of fruit sugar per person.

One night at the end of January, in the dark, an officer called the soldiers to assemble urgently, told them that all the front-line soldiers had been killed, and called his subordinates to participate in the final “meat bomb assault”.

At that time, many people did not want to participate in the commando team.

They delayed moving on the pretext of being injured or ill.

Some people thought they were dead anyway, so they signed up for the commando team.

I didn’t expect that this was a special reward for brave soldiers, not to fight, but to let them participate in the first retreat.

At that time, the U.S. military had 29000 troops in two divisions of the army, 15000 troops in the second Navy division, 16000 troops in the air force, and 5000 permanent naval troops.

In the face of such a huge encirclement team, it is really difficult to withdraw troops.

Through careful planning, the Japanese army secretly retreated three times from February 1 to February 7.

The Japanese army sent Yano troops to cover the retreat in advance.

There are about 750 recruits from Shizuoka Prefecture.

After landing, they immediately bluff to the US military array and pretend to attack, diverting the attention of the US military, so that the Japanese army on the island can retreat by taking advantage of the gap.

In the whole cover work, about 23 troops were lost.

On the evening of February 1, 19 destroyers drove to the sea less than 1000 meters offshore and took the green light as a signal to inform the Japanese troops hiding in the coconut forest.

The remnant soldiers who died in a narrow escape sneaked into the boat position through the coconut forest at night.

After the order to board the ship was issued, people rushed to the boat, and there was no order at all.

The ladder prepared in advance was put on the side of the ship, and everyone scrambled to climb up, some climbed up and some fell down.

The first few ships were seriously overloaded due to too many people on board.

They were pushed into the sea by the sailors and drowned.

They were in a hurry for more than an hour before they set sail.

During the second retreat on February 4, a rescue team composed of one cruiser and 22 destroyers headed south along the Solomon Islands and was injured by two destroyers by US aircraft.

More than 4900 people were withdrawn at night.

9:02 am, February 7.