however, that sound was not made by bagpipes, but a strange sound from bugles and horns. They are afraid that this kind of voice will not only be an unforgettable threat to the Chinese army, but also a lifelong threat to the enemy. Led by Johnson, the 5th regiment of




was trapped halfway by a huge roadblock set up by the Chinese Army on the way north to Yunshan to carry out rescue operations. In fact, they are not only difficult to rescue the trapped 8th regiment, but also don’t know whether they can get out of this fierce battle and avoid the fate of the whole army. As the Korean War historian Roy Appleman, who is famous for his preciseness, described, “before the night fell on November 1, the 8th regiment was surrounded by the Chinese army, leaving only one gap in the East. If the 15th regiment of the Korean army could resist in place at that time, they might still have a glimmer of vitality.”

Lieutenant Ben Boyd is the new platoon commander of company B, 1st Battalion, 8th regiment. The 1st Battalion was equipped with tanks and artillery. It was actually a battalion level contingent. At that time, it was stationed 400 yards north of Yunshan. Therefore, it was the most vulnerable target of the three battalions of the 8th regiment. The battalion commander, Jack Millikin Jr., was Boyd’s tactical instructor at West Point. Boyd’s impression of Millikin is a kind and safe man. His father once served as the commander of a general’s army on the European battlefield. According to Boyd, the 1st Battalion arrived in Pyongyang before the other two battalions. They don’t know where the other two battalions were at that time. On the afternoon of the day when the 1st Battalion arrived here, they aimed mortars at the surrounding targets and exchanged fire with the enemy several times. However, because the battle was not fierce, everyone took it for granted that the enemy was just some loose soldiers of North Korea. But in the evening, the commander of company B, who had just returned from the camp headquarters meeting, said to Boyd, “there are about 20000 laundrymen in this area.” Boyd certainly understood what he meant – they were surrounded by 20000 Chinese troops.

then they heard the sound of an instrument similar to some Asian bagpipes. At first, some officers thought it was the reinforcements of the British brigade. However, the sound was not made by bagpipes, but a strange sound from bugles and horns. I’m afraid many people will never forget this voice, because they soon know that this voice not only represents that the Chinese army is about to fight, but also a powerful deterrent to the enemy. Boyd believed that despite the shortage of manpower, his soldiers were ready. Half of his subordinates are Han Jun mixed personnel, the so-called katusa. Most U.S. officers believe that these South Korean military personnel are not trained enough. When they have a live fire exchange with the enemy, they can’t count on them at all – they are mixed not to strengthen the combat effectiveness of the U.S. military, but to increase the number of U.S. and United Nations forces. For this rash approach, not only those American company commanders and soldiers who have to fight side by side with the Korean army but can’t speak are very dissatisfied, but also those Korean army mixed personnel who are shouted around all day.

at about 10:30, the Chinese army launched a fierce attack. It was a mountain of defeat, Boyd thought. Later, it was said that the Chinese army quickly crossed the weak defense line of the US Army as if it had entered a deserted territory. The seemingly well defended battalion command post of the US Army was razed to the ground in an instant. Some survivors of each platoon wanted to temporarily build a line of defense, but soon collapsed because they were outnumbered. There are wounded American soldiers everywhere, and Millikin has done his best for the increasingly chaotic situation, Boyd thought. So he ordered the remaining 10 to carry 2. Five ton trucks lined up to move the wounded out as much as possible. At this moment, Boyd suddenly saw an army priest named Emil Capone taking full care of the wounded around him. Boyd immediately ordered his subordinates to arrange for the priest to get on the bus, but was rebuffed by the latter because he planned to stay with the wounded soldiers who were likely to be unable to rush out. Although father Capone knows very well that they are likely to be arrested together in the end, he will do his best to treat these American soldiers well.

battalion 3 has two tanks. When the convoy began to set off, Millikin boarded a tank and opened the way ahead. Boyd boarded another tank and broke the rear. About a mile south of Yunshan Town, there were two forks. One of their team headed southeast and the other went southwest, successively entering the defense circle of the Third Battalion, and then passing the bridge guarded by Bill Richardson and his baggage unit. Later facts proved that Millikin was right to lead his troops South regardless of everything, and all soldiers who finally broke out of the siege and survived benefited from this.

the Chinese army has long been in heavy ambush on both sides of this road. Boyd was hard to predict when and where the enemy would fire, but he vaguely remembered that after they walked five or six hundred yards along the road, the Chinese army opened fire. The fire was extremely fierce, and their cars were full of wounded soldiers, so they were unable to fight back. So the whole team turned off their lights. In the panic, the driver of Boyd’s tank made a mistake, the turret began to rotate violently, all the soldiers sitting on it fell down, and Boyd fell into a trench. Later he was able to survive, Boyd thought, entirely out of Providence.

he could even hear the footsteps of Chinese soldiers. At this time, the only way was to pretend to be dead. After a while, someone came over, first hit Boyd on the head with the butt of the gun, and then kicked him in the body. Fortunately, no one stabbed him with a bayonet. Finally, the soldiers searched his pocket, took his watch and necklace and left. Boyd waited a long time – at least a few hours – before slowly getting up. At this time, he was completely disoriented. In addition to being injured all over, he also had a serious concussion. Boyd heard the sound of gunfire not far away, probablyIt was American artillery fire, so he hobbled in that direction and crossed a stream probably called nanmianchuan. Only then did he find that his legs hurt badly. He thought it was probably the burn caused by white phosphorus used by Chinese soldiers.

Boyd walked for several nights and hid as much as possible during the day. With extreme pain and hunger, he walked in the direction of the U.S. defense line for at least a week, maybe about 10 days. Finally, a local farmer gave him food to satisfy his hunger and indicated the position of the U.S. military with the most primitive gestures. Boyd believed that he would never have come back alive without the farmer’s help. Around November 15, after nearly two weeks of hard trek, Boyd finally came to a US military camp. His burns were so serious that he was immediately treated. For Boyd, the war was over and he became one of the few survivors. Boyd only knew that his company commander was killed in the battle, but he didn’t know whether anyone in his platoon survived, because he never saw any of them again.